Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default HDD questions about the 10v - 06-28-2009, 06:50 PM

Hi there,

I'm going to be ordering a 10v soon with the intention of installing OSX on it, after reading Anguishes thread about his experiences I'm pretty confident it's the machine for me. I do have some questions about the HDD though.

I see a lot of people recommend getting the SSD, which is what I was considering as well. I would use the SSD as a purely OS partition and I would use a USB external drive for my actual storage.

My question is, what is the minimum size SSD I need to run OSX effectively with iLife09? Is it really worth it? Does anyone know of an external drive that will work on the 10 using OSX?

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I appreciate it.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM

Hi there -

I don't have the Mini, but have followed other folks on various issues. In the OS X FAQ section, you'll find some help; tips/tricks to getting Leopard installed on a 8GB SSD. Look HERE.

As for the use of an external drive, you shouldn't have any trouble using one. OS X should recognize your new volume, mount it, and you can do pretty much everything you could do on a regular Mac on the Mini - including using an external USB drive.

I read that iLife 2009 requires 4GB of space. I think you will be very happy with your Mini once all the slimming and trimming and installing is done. Let us know how it goes.

« Battery life w/HDD vs SSD | Which One: Super Talent 128GB MLC SX or ME »