Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default SSD Upgrades - 06-28-2009, 05:58 AM

Hey Guys, What SSD connections (i,e 2.5" SATA, SATA II etc.) do I need to look for when shopping for a SSD? I'm looking for a 32GB to 64GB and performance is a MUST! if you have any links to sites, feel free to include those too, thanks in advance for any info!
  (#2) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 04:00 PM

Any 2.5" SATA or SATA II will work although most SATA SSDs out there are SATA II.
This is a must-read, IMHO, as a point of beginning (as well as the follow-up articles):
AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

I think this article can stress, better than I, to look beyond the manufacturers' listings for sequential read and write speeds. It's the small random reads and writes that seem to make a huge difference in performance (along with good sequential read/write performance). The variability out there in SSD performance is considerable.

I won't go as far as recommending the OCZ Vertex just because that's what I happened to buy and then somehow need to justify what I did (which seems to be what you get a lot on forums). The Vertex is highly rated but new on the scene is the RunCore Pro IV which uses the same Indilinx controller that the Vertex uses. Until something new appears, my understanding is the Intel SSD continues to reign as the Gold Standard, followed by Indilinx-controller SSDs, which stand head-and-shoulders above the rest.

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#3) Old
Default 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Thats great Information, so it can use either a SATA or SATA II huh? Of the two, which is better?, or does it not make a difference? Performace wise it sounds like an 80GB Intel X-25 M woud suit my needs. But with a $314.00 price tag (Amazon price)-( Intel X25-M Mainstream 80 GB SATA 2.5-Inch MLC Solid State Disk (SSD) SSDSA2MH080G1C5: Electronics) I'd have to weigh this out carefully. Thats alot to drop on a SSD but if thats what it takes for performance, then so be it. You can forget the Intel X-25 E...thats a bit outta my price range. hehehehe!

I like the quote on one of the reviews, it says: "SSD and normal Hard Disks are like ADSL and Dial-up, once you experience the ADSL there is no way in the world you will go back to dial-up again!"
  (#4) Old
Default 07-01-2009, 02:54 PM

Cheers zrtom, I came across this thread from a google search the day / day after it was created and the article you referred the op to was invaluable (but pretty damn lengthy)!

I was after a small, budget ssd for windows (and possibly programs), using another conventional high capacity hard drive for data. Co-incidently I also went for the OCZ Vertex in the 30gig size (just over £100) without actually reading the whole of your post.

I have an old mobo and picked up a SATA / PATA converter for just £5 on ebay, so I can get things running now until I upgrade my mobo and everything.. Hopefully the converter doesn't degrade performance too much

Thanks for your help
  (#5) Old
Default 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM

So ... does anyone have any experience with the 10v and a RunCore Pro IV SSD yet? Easy install? Performance ok? Heat?

Thanks in advance.

(#6) Old
Default 07-02-2009, 01:10 AM

I was torn between the Runcore IV and the Vertex, on paper the runcore seems a tad faster but after finding no real reviews went for the vertex (active forums, firmware upgrades, etc),
In fact even though the vertex is much faster than the old runcore on my Mini9 I cant feel the difference.
Also the vertex was about $40 cheaper

« Win7 on 10v 32Bit or 64Bit | Dell SSD Part numbers »