Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Can't re-install Ubuntu, Mini is now a block? - 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM

I own a dell mini 10v, and I was trying to do a fresh installation of 8.04 with a CD I created using the .iso file I downloaded from the Ubuntu site. I am using an external iomega cd drive, which connects via usb. I started the mini and booted with the cd, and all went well. then, as the system was installing, I minimized the installation progress window and could not get it back. Soon after, the mouse froze, so I held down the power key to turn it off. Thinking i could simply restart the installation as I had before, I turned on the computer and selected CD drive from the boot options list. However, instead of getting the Ubuntu installation screen as I had before, I now get MBR: FA. I tried pressing A and then 1, however, that did not work. I am afraid my Mini 10v is just going to become a block. Is there any way to get Ubuntu back up and running??
  (#2) Old
Default 06-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Here's a couple things to try...
The FA part lists valid keyboard commands that are available. Try "A" if you've already tried "F."

Separately, it sounds like you are not getting the CD drive to boot. I'd try powering everything off then back on again and start tapping F12 the instant you turn it on. If that won't boot the CD drive, you can also change the boot order in the BIOS so only the CD drive boots. That should get you back to the point where you can start the installation over.

If you are going to reinstall Ubuntu, you might try 9.04 (desktop, not the netbook remix version). 9.04 runs really well on the 10v. Much better than 8.04 IMHO.

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#3) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 02:04 AM

If you have a 1GB USB drive, you could load Ubuntu directly from the USB drive. You can download a 9.04 image from
  (#4) Old
Default 06-26-2009, 02:31 AM

if you have access to another pc, you can install ubuntu to a usb flash drive:

USB Ubuntu 9.04 Persistent install (Windows) | USB Pen Drive Linux

Once, you boot Ubuntu from the flash drive, you can install it to the mini 10v

« Install OS X on my 10v without USB dvd drive? | Mini 10v gets N280 Processor »