Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default mini 10v xp recovery cd - 06-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Does the mini 10v (xp version) come with the xp recovery cd ? (I read somewhere that for the mini 9, you had to call dell and ask for this cd.) I don't have an external dvd. I've been reading posts that suggest xp can be installed from a usb memory stick. But I can't determine if that means it's an official microsoft xp cd that can be loaded to a memory stick or if the mini 10v xp recovery cd can be loaded to a memory stick.

So basically, can I load the mini10v xp recovery cd to a usb memory stick ?
  (#2) Old
Default 06-21-2009, 05:22 PM

The Mini comes with a Windows XP SP3 installation CD, as well as disks for drivers and utilities. There are ways for loading it to a USB stick and installing Windows via USB. Some people have success; others haven't. You can search this site or Google for help.

Alternatively, you can request the System Restoration CDs from Dell Tech. Support. These do install from USB quite easily.
They differ from the Windows XP CD in that they install more than just the Operating System; they restore your system the way it came from the factory. They create the Diagnostics Partition, the OS Partition and install all of the software as it came from Dell. This link gives more info. on the SRCDs and how to install them via USB:
How to: Re-image your Mini9 from Dells image for your system

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7
  (#3) Old
Default 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM

My refurb came with no disks, should i be worried or just use a spare XP disk i have and the serial on the 10v if i ever need it?
  (#4) Old
Default 03-09-2010, 03:15 AM

if you think you'll keep xp on your mini 10v, then I'd suggest you call Dell and explain to them you didn't receive the cd. Tell them you want the xp cd and the drivers cd. You don't want to get stuck having to search for the dell mini 10v drivers.

« SSD vs Stock 160GB | 10v SSD type?? »