Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v Southbridge Considerations - 05-12-2009, 05:32 AM

If all goes well, the N270 Mini 10v with Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M) Southbridge should give a tremendous improvement in HDD performance over the Z5xx Mini 10's Intel SCH US15W chipset with its all-in-one Northbridge/Southbridge. This difference should really stand out when SSDs are used. The Z5xx I/O controller is just plain slow and SSDs don't boost performance like they do on systems with "normal" I/O Controllers. I say "should" because Dell always seems to have a way of limiting performance of their systems, usually through the BIOS. Most of the time, the limitations are implemented in the name of stability and longevity, but let's hope they don't mess with the N270 basic architecture in the Mini 10v.

I've been using an OCZ Vertex on the current Mini 10 for a couple months. By most accounts, the Vertex is one of the fastest SATA SSD available (next to the Intel SLC SSDs, of course). Using the same 60GB Vertex, I can get Atto benchmarks on my desktop (ICH9 I/O controller hub) of over 225 MB/sec reads AND writes while the Mini 10 yields 40 MB/sec. Pitiful.

Compared to the current Mini 10, the Mini 10v has the potential for some serious HDD speeds with a good SSD. Bump the RAM up to 2GB and I think the Mini 10v will really be outstanding. I would not be surprised to see 15 second Windows 7 boot times.....and the other nice thing about using an SSD is my 3-cell battery life goes from 2 3/4 hours to around 4 hours.

XPS 420|XPS 420|M1330: Windows 7 x64, Windows 8-8102
M1330: Quad boot: Windows 7 x64, XP Pro x64, Ubuntu, Media Direct
Mini 9: Black, 2GB, 1.3MP Cam, BT, Runcore 32, Windows 7
Mini 10: Black, Z530, Intel 5100 WiFi, OCZ Vertex SSD, XP Pro & Windows 7 (sold)
Mini10v: 2GB, OCZ Vertex, Intel 5100, Windows 7

« - | I presume this Mini 10 ad is wrong! »