Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Question Before hardrive replacement - 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Hi All,

I've got a more than 2 years old Dell Mini 10v (original minimal config - 8 GB SSD - later upgraded to 2 GB RAM).

Recently on boots it complains about forthcoming HD failure possibility via SMART , so it's time to backup (DONE ) and buy a new SSD.

Whar are my options - and your appreciated recomendations nowadays?

I don't need much space (although I'd like Snow Leopard a try, dualbooting with Arch Linux) so my assumption is that ~32 GB will be enough. E.g.: Kingston SNV125-S2/30GB.

Will it work?
Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default My 2 cents - 09-16-2011, 09:22 PM

I have run snow leopard on a 16GB SSD in my mini 9 and that was over half the space with just a few programs installed. You could go with a 30GB SSD and dual boot a couple of operating systems with a few GB left over for programs. I found the SD slot useful for stuff you want to take along and not clutter the drive.

SSD still costs way too much in my opinion when you look at the cost of those USB flash drives but you really are paying for developement cost since HDD technology has changed little in the past 5 years or so. There is a significant difference is speed and durability in a netbook. I have not tried Kingston but have tried OCZ, Plextor, Mushkin and now Samsung. I have not had drive failures with any of those brands. Compare the specs carefully and read read read reviews carefully.

recommendations, replacement, ssd

« 10v RAM upgrade to 2GB | Lost bootloader »