Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Unhappy Dell Mini 10v not powering on - 05-04-2011, 10:10 AM

My Dell Mini 10v isn't booting up at all, yet it has power. (tried both with battery/power supply, and all forms possible) When it has some sort of power, the white light will flash for about 8 seconds, then it turns off. A USB flash drive powers on also, but no display, no bios, nothing going on. No beeps either.

I bought it slightly used and have had it about 8 months or so (it's just out of warranty) and it's been running well, running Snow Leopard, and one day it just stopped. I'm not sure what I may have done to make it stop booting, but it wasn't dropped/wet.

Is it bricked? I may have turned on legacy usb support, if that matters, it's been a couple months since this happened.

I called Dell and they couldn't help, wanted me to send it in, but since I bought the thing on Craigslist they had to have the ownership transferred or something and it never got sent in before it expired.

I took it apart and unplugged the bios battery then turned it on, but that didn't get anything going.

Any suggestions? I have a flash usb drive I can try flashing bios with, but no usb floppy.

Anyone at Dell able to help get this approved? Or any easy fix?

I want my hackintosh back.
  (#2) Old
Default 08-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Very similar issue here. We use our hackintosh as a POS system at work, just web browser work mainly. It went to sleep and the next day it wouldn't wake up. Press the power button, light stays on for like you said about 8 seconds, fades out, nothing. No whirring, no boot cycle, nothing. Not quite sure how to troubleshoot this one.
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM

well, 1st of all calling Dell is out, if you have OSX on it they will not even talk to you, you will be lucky if they dont report you, and from what I see here, the common denominator seems to be that you are both running suggestion would be to search the forum here and also check the OSX section here, maybe someone has had this similar problem

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case

Last edited by rrfranczak3; 08-18-2011 at 02:39 PM.
  (#4) Old
Default 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM

I also have a similar issue with mine. It was working fine two days ago and then after a memory upgrade to 2GB it worked well for a few hours. After switching it off and turning it back on again it gave a few Windows errors saying that it couldn't start Windows properly.

Then it just completely packed in and now I get a power light for about 7-8 seconds and then it turns off. There are no BIOS warnings, sounds, no HDD or fan sounds in fact nothing. Could it be a case of dead motherboard?

Anyone out there with any further diagnosis would be very much appreciated. I don't mind replacing the motherboard as I long as I definitely know it is the problem. Thanks.
  (#5) Old
Default 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by B4ABU View Post
Then it just completely packed in and now I get a power light for about 7-8 seconds and then it turns off.
Try taking the battery out and just run it from the power supply.

« Intel Wifi 6205 compatibility | Mini 1010 recovery disc for the 1011? »