Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Wine for osx on 10v - 03-06-2011, 01:38 AM

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had tried running wine for osx on their 10v. My current 10v has a dual boot leopard and windows 7 but I rarely use the windows 7 partition. Eventually I would like to install snow leopard and jollicloud on my 10v, but I don't want to waste hard drive space with windows 7 when I would just use wine when necessary...

Anyway, has anyone used it, or can tell me the general performance I would see as compared to shutting down osx and booting windows 7? Thanks
  (#2) Old
Default 03-06-2011, 02:00 AM

I've ran it with mint 10. Installed fine. I only ran one app with it though, and only briefly. I got an error message about the resolution not being high enough for best performance, and the app (fulltilt) eventually crashed.

Haven't tried again to see if it's a persistent problem.

10v, N80, 1 Gig ram, 160 Gig HD, A06 /Windows XP / SL 10.6.6 NBI 0.8.4 Special/ Linux Mint |
Please use my Dropbox Invite link:
  (#3) Old
Default I chose VirtualBox+Windows over Wine OS X - 03-06-2011, 02:57 PM

I tried it once or twice, but most of the programs I needed to run crashed or didn't work correctly. Because of this, I ditched it in favor of Windows XP on VirtualBox (formerly from Sun, now taken over by Oracle).

Performance is certainly not blindingly fast, but usable and everything runs as it is supposed to, and all the networking, USB and hardware-ish items work, as well.

Of course, this is a personal choice, but it was the right one for me.

Dell Mini 10v w/ 2GB SDRAM, 802.11n & BlueTooth
Snow Leopard 10.6.6
2TB of NFS mounts courtesy of foonas-ized LinkStations
as opensource TimeCapsules (+ p910nd printserver & Firefly media server)
see for details on how to make your OS X experience richer with a modded NAS device
Time Capsule/Time Machine Support on Your LinkStation

wine osx windows

« Mini10 crashing and then not crashing. | HD playback online »