Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Mini10 crashing and then not crashing. - 02-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Shocker right?

My battery needs replacing, that's for sure but I've been limping along and letting it rest and after a few days it will work for me again.

Question is, can this bad battery make the computer overheat and crash? It has worked fine until Wednesday of this week. I got home plugged up and the orange light came on so I removed the battery like I have been doing and just running the computer with the power plugged in but when it powered up the computer clicked (hard drive is what I'm thinking was the click) and shutdown. When I turned it back on I got the screen showing improper shutdown and the options of safe start, yada, yada, yada.

Not sure of what to do so I system restored to a few days back and the computer started up fine so then I let it sit for an hour or two to see if it would overheat and shutdown (I've replaced one hard drive already). It worked fine until I started using it and it crashed after about 30 minutes of use.

After that I just left it alone (24hrs) until lastnight, it started up fine and ran with no problems even after using it all evening to remove pictures and files I didn't want to lose. I have it at work with me today and it has not crashed and is normal in temperature too.

Norton is up to date and is reporting no problems, malware isn't showing any threats either.

Ideas? Thanks in advance!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 02-24-2011, 08:07 PM

a faulty battery may overheat itself, but not sure if it would cause the system itself to overheat unless its transferring the heat to the system...have you ever had the system apart?..possible the thermal pads are not correctly in place?

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM

Had it apart in Sept 09 to replace the hard drive but put everything back exactly the way it was and haven't had any heat problems since then. When the first drive crapped out due to overheating I was very cautious where or what I sat the computer on.

I saw the targus usb fan you posted on another thread and will probably invest in one of those.

« wireless n upgrade... | Wine for osx on 10v »