Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Please Help cant get pass BIOS - 11-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Hi there my firend asked me to put mac OS on his dell mini1011, I followed this guide here:
OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Dell mini 10V – Inspiron 1011 « OSX86SV

didnt realise there was an updated version!! Anyway I flashed the BIOS and there were alot of beeps then it shut down, seems ok, At boot, the dell logo comes up with the blue bar then it asks for a password??!! I havent a clue what the password is i try anything and it goes System Disabled, 15361,
Service tag 5JJWPJ1. When I press F2 to go to setup it asks for a password, it wont let me press F12 for boot devices, when i press f12 it does nothing. I cant get past the System Disabled screen

I have tried resetting the CMOS by taking the battery out, didnt work either. Not really sure what to do. Is there anyway of reflashing the bios using the original dell one without having going into boot order as i cant get into boot order.

Its driving me nuts and i dont really have the money to replace the laptop.
Its out off warranty also,
Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-27-2010, 05:41 PM

there are people on ebay that sell a utility to fix this password issue, see what happens is that when you call Dell they use the service tag number to generate a password for the BIOS, the people on ebay sell a utility that does the same are not the first one that this has happened to..

PS. Welcome to the forum.....

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM

thanks buddy for the info, its a nightmare, at least the BIOS isnt broken then,
got a code off ebay just waiting for it to arrive, it says if it doesnt work ill get my money back, ill keep you guys informed
thanks again
  (#4) Old
Default 12-01-2010, 09:21 PM

I had this issue with a 10v I purchased with a broken hinge, eBay sellers all failed with my service code but this guy was quick to respond and gave me the bios access password before taking any money! Just asked for a donation to his pay pal if it did - which he naturally got because he unbricked the machine for me

MIT Unlock Bios & Unlock Hard Drive Recovery Service

He does bios passwords for all pc's laptops and netbooks - definitely someone to bookmark for later.

« SD Reader stopped working | Dell 1011 BIOS (A04) question »