Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Question Restore mode is not present - DM 10v - 11-13-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I just got a DM 10v from my auntie. She had it for a yr but became slow that's why she gave it to me. Apparently the OS is having some issues and the best thing to do now is to reinstall the OS. I've been searching on how to restore it, I read some said by pressing ctrl-f11 or by pressing f8 before the logo appears will bring up restore or repair menus but it wouldnt come up in my machine. I dont see anything to restore or repair it. I've checked C: directory and it has folders like "boot", "I386" etc..

My question is - How can I reinstall the OS using the I386 xp files in the C: directory using an external harddrive or USB flashdrive? My auntie said it didnt come with a CD. I made a bootable USB and copied all the content of c: directory except for "programs" and "windows" folders to it. I run winnt.exe from inside I386 folder but it had an error saying it couldnt find EULA. but its there when i searched it.

PLEASE HELP. I want to get this machine working. TIA
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-13-2010, 06:13 PM

does disk management show a restore partition? might just be better off creating a Windows install on a USB stick and reinstalling from from the c:\windows\i386 directory is not the way ctrl+f11 should do it..unless either it has been removed or the MBR record is corrupted..the f8 is usually used once windows is booting to get to a windows boot screen for booting into safe mode, but if you cant get that far then the ctrl+f11 is the way to go

PS. Welcome to the forum....

NOTE: you will need at least a 4gb preferably an 8gb USB Flashdrive and a valid original licensed Windows XP install disk and after you create the Windows install on the USB stick remember to go into the BIOS and enable "Legacy USB" so it will boot from the USB drive

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 11-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Hi, thanks a lot for replying.. and thank you for welcoming me as a new member

When you said disk management, do you mean - control panel>computer management>disk management?

If yes, the disk management doesnt come up. I get an error message about not being able to access the Logical drive or something.

I dont want to go through the pain of trouble shooting the OS currently running on the machine, I know it wouldnt be easy. I think the easiest way to solve the issue is to just reinstall a fresh OS.

The machine didnt come with CDs when my auntie bought it. All it has is the I386 window files and other stuff it needs in the c: directory. I copied those to my USB drive and ran the winnt.exe but I just got an error about EULA not being present. But like what I said, its there in the USB drive when i searched for it.

How else can I do this if I dont have an original windows xp sp3 install disk if the windows install files in the directory dont work? The machine's OS license is for windows xp home edition sp3. That's what I need.

I think those files inside the C: directory are suppose to be used by the machine when the user runs the ctrl-f11>restore.

I tried again pressing ctrl-f11 (both keys simultaneously) just before the dell logo comes up, nothing happens. It just continued loading windows.

I'd appreciate any help. THANKS A LOT
  (#4) Old
Question 11-16-2010, 08:50 AM

« Screen problems....maybe??? | Fedora vs. Ubuntu »