Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Setting up a new (refurb) 10v - 11-10-2010, 01:45 PM

Got a Refurbed Mini 10V from Dell outlet. Cost was just over $300 with tax, delivery time was one week.
Upgraded the RAM and Hard drive:
Not a terrible experience. Watch the Youtube videos so you know what to expect, take your time. Having an old credit card handy helps with peeling up the keyboard, palmrest and the palmrest bracket.
Use Goo-Gone on the gunk left on the palmrest after you peel off the stickers. CAREFUL - don't get the Goo-Gone on the body plastic - will eat it. This is best done when you have the palm rest disassembled.
I installed 2 GB RAM and a Samsung 500GB / 7200 RPM HDD (was $100 total at MicroCenter). Saving the old hdd and ram - just in case.
Setup Dual Boot OSX/Win7 based on procedures found here (and elsewhere):
- Install Snow Leopard from USB, when you go to Disk Utility, select 2 partition and format the second partition as FAT, rename it Win7. Name your OSX partition whatever you want (I used "OSX")
- Install Seven from USB to Windows partition (remember to reformat it NTFS)
- After Seven is installed, at reboot, Seven will be the only OS bootable
- Shutdown
- Put the OSX USB stick in and boot - when the Bootloader comes up - select OSX partition (should be the default)
- In OSX, run Applications/NetBookInstaller - uncheck everything except the Chameleon bootloader, click install
- when the Install completes, eject the USB
- On Reboot, you should have the bootloader and be able to select OSX or Win7
Note my install was NOT this smooth - I had a hard time after I got Win7 installed, I couldn't get the bootloader to come up, only Win7 - but booting off the OSX USB, I could get OSX to run. So, I decided "what the heck" and just reinstalled the bootloader and all works well - and no need to diddle with the partition tables!
If you've done it once, using the CURRENT NBM/NBI software, this can be pretty painless.
I bought a Magic Mouse (used some BestBuy points to knock a few bucks off) and that's working somewhat with OSX (no gestures - I need to install the full drivers). Not working with Win7 yet. It was getting late.....
Overall - nice little maching - boot times are very good (better than I expected). SL takes about an hour to install, Win7 maybe half an hour. In total - I probably spent 4-5 hours so far. Bottom of machine gets quite warm if it's sitting on something. Screen is "acceptable" but nowhere near as good as a real Mac screen. Speakers make sound - but you wouldn't want to listen to music on them for very long (plug in a "Hamburger" speaker or earbuds and you're set).
With the mini 10v, upgraded hdd, ram, magic mouse - I'm right about $450 and I have a PC and a Mac.

I'm a happy camper.

Thanks to all the posters here - I wouldn't have even started this without all the great info.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM

I hope you enjoy your Mini.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-10-2010, 03:45 PM

try one of these for underneath then you can rest the Mini on anything you want...they work great, fits right in my case and about $20 @BB

plugs right into one of the 3 USB ports and does NOT deter battery life hardly at all, I got one for my Mini and a larger one for my 17inch HP and they are made by Targus so they have to be pretty good.

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old
Default 11-13-2010, 12:46 AM

Well - as it turned out - things were not working as well as I thought. The further I went - the worse it got. I'm currently wrestling with the magic mouse (not working on both OS's with dual booting) I know theres a post here somewhere (I read it ) on how to fix this.... Anyway - a full disclosure writeup will be coming - as soon as I get all the problems licked.

« SL install hangs on Mini 10v | 10v NEW processor? »