Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default power light blinking pink and white/red and white - 09-15-2010, 05:00 AM

I've checked the other threads however none seem to be what my problem is.

I loaned my mini 10v to my best-friend over the summer, she's been using it pretty much just to surf the web, maybe watch some youtube videos, etc

But about 4 days ago she said that it would no longer turn on, and I have confirmed this. I have the standard 10v with the 6-cell battery, not upgraded in anyway (except for Windows 7 Professional is on it instead of Windows XP), and I have the standard dell-brand charger. When I plug it in, the power LED blinks pink and white slowly, and then after awhile blinks red and white rapidly. I have gotten it to turn on and load up to the desktop...however it completely shuts off shortly after that.

It will work if I don't have the battery installed though. Loads up windows, and no blinking light, however if it's unplugged then obviously it will get shut down. :/

I'm not sure whats wrong with it but I'd like to figure it out if anyone has had this same issue

EDIT: Also, I still have 166 Days remaining on my warranty, which covers Limited Technical Support, and Rapid Response Depot.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Default 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM

the battery is Dell a request a new battery

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM

dude i just got my battery replaced from dell, my issue was that at 100% charging a pink flash would come, so dell was not co-operating for a bat replacement so i used a little social ingenuity, told them to send a tech guy to check it up and they agreed and i told the guy to replace the bat for a few days and if prob persists would give back a call. so thats how i got a free new bat and my old bat had 34% wear. so i needed it and of-course i was covered under warranty
  (#4) Old
Default desperate... - 05-02-2011, 04:58 AM

I have the same red/white flashing problem... can it be?? My Dell is just 1 and a half years old, the battery can go wrong this short time???

Well my exact problem is that this blinking problem only comes like every second charging... so not allways.
And the guys in the service are assholes, because I had problems before with this machine, and after I got my netbook back they completely left out the bluetooth device, and on top of this, they sad I WAS DOING SOMETHING with the machine... I almost killed them :@

So the problem is if I cannot produce the problem in front of them, they won't even touch it, just send me to hell... So what should I do??
(I still have a half year warranty.)
  (#5) Old
Default 03-22-2012, 01:53 PM

I just had this problem on a laptop (inspiron 1440). I solved the problem by removing the battery, disconnecting the power cord then by pressing and holding the power button for 1 minute (to empty the laptop power). Replaced back the battery and power cord and everything was working ok.

Edit: Sorry to revive an old thread, just done so for those who stumble upon this post from a google search.

Last edited by pominator; 03-22-2012 at 01:55 PM.
  (#6) Old
Default 08-22-2013, 07:26 PM

This is likely to be a recurring problem, so I think it is a good idea to keep this thread alive. I came across this thread because I have also just had, and solved this problem, however, my solution was a little bit different so I'll make my contribution as well.

The short version:
Try another PSU.

The long version:
When this started to happen with my 10V, I noticed that while it was happening, the 10v thought it was running on battery power (which it was not). When I unplugged the power lead, the screen backlight went a little bit dimmer. When I plugged it back in, it got a bit brighter again. So DC power of some sort was definitely reaching the 10V.

My Dad also has a 10V which he has hardly ever used, which is a shame, but it meant that I could borrow his PSU for a test. Using his PSU totally fixed the problem. If you aren't technically interested, you can stop reading now and go and borrow or buy another PSU to try. But if you want to know what was wrong with the original PSU, read on.

I'm an electronics technician by trade, so I decided to dig a little deeper. First of all, I checked the output voltages from both PSU units when they were unloaded, that is, with nothing running on them. Both were producing a nearly perfect 19V output.

I then took them to work with me and ran each one in turn into a high-power 12 ohm resistor, that being just about the right value to force the units to supply their maximum output current of 1.58 Amps.

My Dad's PSU: The output fell from 19V unloaded to about 18.7V fully loaded. That's normal.
My original PSU: The output fell from 19V unloaded by a full 5 volts to 14 volts, MUCH too low. Clearly something wrong there.

Loss of performance in switched-mode power supplies like these is nearly always caused by the failure of one or more electrolytic capacitors, so I split the original PSU open expecting to find it full of sick capacitors. To my surprise there were only three in the entire unit and all were in perfect health.

I then wired the high-power 12 ohm load directly to the DC output of the PSU PCB, via short, thick leads, bypassing the long DC power lead. I found that the PSU was then able to maintain 18.8V across the load. Moving the load back to the other end of the DC power lead, I found that I had 18.8V on the DC output of the PSU PCB, but only 14V across the load at the other end of the DC power lead. If I wiggled the lead around while monitoring the voltage across the load, the voltage reading went wildly unstable, shooting up and down, but always returned to a low value once I let go of the lead.

Verdict: PSU electronics / PCB OK, but DC power lead faulty (high resistance).

I have always been careful not to wrap the cable tightly around the PSU when it is not in use because that tends to make cables snap at the places where they are always bent around the sharp corners of the enclosure. But, I do keep the PSU in a pocket in the sleeve that I keep the 10V in, and to get it in there I have to coil the DC cable up into a four inch diameter coil. With hindsight, I believe that the constant coiling and uncoiling of the cable has damaged the cable conductors, raising their resistance to such an extent that the voltage drop across them is now too great during times of high current demand, such as when the unit is both running and trying to charge the battery at the same time.

I could have fixed the original supply by finding a new thick DC power cable for it and putting the PCB safely inside a new enclosure, but third-party 'Genuine' replacement power supplies are widely available at reasonable prices. I ordered one and it works Ok - the main difference between it and the real thing is that the replacement does not have the white power on indicator LED built into the plug the way the original PSU did.

Nor does it actually have to look anything like the original, as long as it meets these specifications:
-Exactly the same size / shape DC power plug on the end of the DC lead
-Positive on the inner/centre contact of the plug, negative on the outer contact of the plug.
-19V DC regulated output, capable of 1.58 Amps or higher.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 08-22-2013 at 07:34 PM.

« 10v WWAN PCI-E slot added successfully ! | Dell Mini 10v Hackintosh not working!!!! »