Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default First Mini 10V - should i go with an SSD and other newbee questions - 08-19-2010, 09:51 PM

I got my first mini-10V so I could run multiple OS's at once - Linux, Win7, and OSX. I have reviewed all the guides and feel I can follow them. But I have a couple of questions I've yet to uncover answers to:

1) I've seen that the 10V takes a standard 2.5 SATA SSD. are there any specific recommendations? Or, more important, ones to avoid? I'm a fan of NewEgg so that is where I'll get it from. Of should I hyst stay wiht the spinning disk?

2) Can I run any flavor Linux other than Unbuntu?

3) What is the major cause of Hackintoshing failures? I read a lot about BIOS challanges. What else?

(#2) Old
Default 08-20-2010, 12:11 AM

1. Triple-booting does require a fairly large drive, and large SSDs are expensive. So, a standard HDD might be better for cheapskate multiboot machines. (I'm a cheapskate, but I'm only single booting Linux, so I get by with a 16GB SSD in my Mini 1012)

2. I think everything in the 10v should work in any modern Linux distro, but the Broadcom WiFi drivers might take more effort in some. (I believe the 10v usually has a Broadcom card).

3. Dunno.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 08-20-2010, 02:43 AM

If I had the money I wuld have bought the Intel SSD, but there was a deal on Newegg for a WD 120SSD for 199.00 with free shipping so I went for it. I'll have to see how it goes. More space is better!

Dell Mini 10v - Obsidian Black, 1.6 Atom, 2gb Kingston Premium Ram, 128gb SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate, Webcam, internal Bluetooth

« Clear CMOS? | Bluetooth Part #? »