Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v wont let me install Win 7 Starter... :-( - 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM

I have my Mini10V setup with the 160gb partition with OSX and it works flawlessly, well worth $30 price tag.
Now, I want to partition the drive by cutting it in half so that I can put the copy of Windows 7 Starter on the other partition.

I managed to use the "Disk Utility" and partition the drive into two pieces and I formatted Partition #2 with FAT (80GB).

Now I would like to install Win 7Starter and everytime I try to do says

"Non-system disk"
"Press any key to reboot"

Please can someone help me with this problem?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 08-18-2010, 05:34 PM

1st I think you should format the partition as NTFS or at least FAT32, 2nd what are you using to try to install Win 7 (you really should install a version better than Win 7starter..starter is too limited in many ways), if its a USB thumb drive, did you format that as NTFS and make it bootable, also have you gone into the BIOS and set the boot device to "Legacy USB"?

this utility works great:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

PS. Welcome to the forum..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 08-18-2010, 11:28 PM

I would have definitely chosen NTFS as the second partition for my Win7 to go on, however that wasn’t an option for some reason in the Disk Utility that I was using. Well I copied the Original Install CD (Win7) that was bundled with the computer onto a USB Flash drive. I also did the steps in the DOS command window, as an administrator so that it can boot from the USB Stick.

I know that I should use something better than Windows 7 Starter. But this is what I have for now so I was going to see if I could get it to work. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop computer.

So when I restart I have the pen drive in and I press F12 and choose boot from USB. But I am not 100% sure it says “Legacy USB”. I will check that later on tonight.

Thanks for welcoming me to the forums; I really appreciate your helping me with my Mini10v.
  (#4) Old
Default still stuck - 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Hi there,

I am using the USB utility to format my external hard drive in hopes to have a bootable windows 7. I am not sure which options to check on this screen:

« Mouse adjustments 10v? | 2gb upgrade success! »