Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Why Can't I Install Windows 7 on my SSD? - 07-09-2010, 12:59 PM

Hi all.

I'm banging my head against the wall here.

I have a Dell Mini 1010 that came with a 160GB 5,400RPM drive (bleck!).
I decided to take the 60GB SSD out of my desktop (had Windows 7 installed on it) and place it in the Dell Mini. I wanted to do a nice fresh install of Windows 7 Professional (32-bit).

The drive I have is named "OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G".
The firmware came with 1.5 and I updated it to 1.6 hoping that it would help. It didn't.

It seems like before I did the firmware update, no drive was detected at the Windows 7 install screen. After the firmware update, the drive shows up at the Windows 7 setup which is a step in the right direction.

I can even delete any partitions that were created, but as soon as I try to create a new partition (or start the install on the unallocated space), it will just sit there with an hour glass for about 10 minutes and then give the following error:
"Windows is unable to install to the selected location. Error 0x80300025."

I tried installing Vista Business and then "upgrading" to Windows 7 Professional. This started to work...but then kept getting BSOD during the "updating files" portion.

I have successfully installed XP and Vista on this Mini 1010 but what I really want it Windows 7.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  (#2) Old
Default 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM

Thread about about Win7, old Mini 10 (model 1010) and SSDs. More info. Hopefully, you'll find something there to help you.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 07-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Thread about about Win7, old Mini 10 (model 1010) and SSDs. More info. Hopefully, you'll find something there to help you.
Thank you so much for the links.

I will try "erasing" the drive ASAP.

The other link looks like it may work too.

Hopefully one of these methods work...I can't stand XP ; )

Thanks again.
  (#4) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM

If you have a Windows 7 DVD, you can use Microsoft's Diskpart from the command prompt in the repair console.

(#5) Old
Default 07-09-2010, 11:38 PM

I finally figured it out.

You need to follow the steps listed here:Workaround for installing Windows 7 on...

It's a little time consuming as you need to install XP or Vista first and then install 7 over it, blah blah blah.

Check out the page and you'll see what I mean ; )

I'm typing on it now! YIPEEE!

Thanks guys for any and all help provided!
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM

I didnt go through all that, I installed XP on the 1st partition and just installed Win 7 Ult on the 2nd partition...just like problems...dual boots perfectly..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#7) Old
Default 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM

This is a problem caused by Dell's use of a PATA to SATA bridge chip in the 1010. For some reason that I don't understand, the Windows 7 installer doesn't like this when combined with an SSD. I have seen many reports of this problem.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#8) Old
Default 08-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Thought I would post my work around, as these forums helped me get my Mini 10 runnin.

I have a Mini 1010 and decided to upgrade to Win 7 with a SSD. I bought an OCZ Vertex 30GB and tried to install off my Win7 USB stick. NO luck getting past selecting drive. I put my 160 back in and installed Windows 7 no problem. So I tried to clone my working Win7 drive to the new SSD with ghost. The SSD would start to post Windows but would shortly freeze up. So I searched the forums for help and came across "reflex's" reply and link. The PATA to SATA does not support TRIM and hence the difference in luck people are having with SSD's on the Mini 1010, as not all SSD's have TRIM.

All I did was boot my workin Win7 installation on my 160 drive and change the TRIM registry entries for all Controlset's: CurrentControlSet, ControlSetxxx "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\temp\CurrentControlSet\Control \Filesystem". Change "DisableDeleteNotification" from 0 to 1 in each path. Shutdown, clone drive to SSD with ghost. Booted straight into Windows 7 on SSD after that.

Basically "reflex's post" is the solution. But if you have the resources at hand, my cloning technique was simple. On a side note.... I did the SetFSB trick (search forums) and have it in the scheduler to run at startup. My mini runs at 2.0 Ghz just fine with no hang ups. The new windows7 video drivers for the GMA500 are a great improvement. Will update later as to the boost in battery life with SSD installed.

« Struggling with trackpad | Can't install Win 7 on SSD »