Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Angry Mini 10v not charging - 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM

1st, my plug/charger was not working so I got a new one. In the days of waiting for the plug, I guess the battery drained completely. I turned it off last when there were about 8% left.

Now, plugging the new cord, it is not charging. I see the white light on the tip of the charger that connects to the mini so to me the new plug is working. But I can't turn on my mini because, I think, the battery is not charging. I've left it charging for hours and I do not feel the heat.

1. Even if the battery does not work, or if I remove the battery, why does the mini not turn on using the plug? Does it need to have battery to turn on even though the plug is plugged to the electricity?

2. Any suggestions please?!?! I got this in Nov 2009 so I don't think it should act this way already. I have taken good care of it: not throwing it anywhere, waiting for the battery to go to 10% and when the red light blinks then charge it, wiping dust, etc.

3. Is the only solution to buy a new battery? It seems in the past as long as it is on, it charges. But when it's off it doesn't sometimes. And now, it is not charging at all and I can't turn it on.

Thanks for any tips/help!

(#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 07-03-2010, 01:53 PM

It still should be under warranty, call Dell. It may be the battery or the MoBo, in either event get it taken care of while it's still under warranty.

(#3) Old
Default 07-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Just a few thoughts, reseat the battery, try a different outlet.. (i know that these are dumb solutions, however, its a good start)
  (#4) Old
Default 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM

Had the exact same issue. It's the DC jack connector. It is under warrantly. Just got my mini back from Dell. Only took a week from when I sent it to when they returned it fixed.
  (#5) Old
Send a message via Skype™ to Dunhamzzz
Default 07-22-2010, 03:08 PM

This is a common problem if you use your Minis a lot, I've gone through about 3 chargers so far!

Please do not send me support requests via PM.
  (#6) Old
Default connection - 07-23-2010, 12:25 AM

So it is the charger connection, not the connection on the dell mini?

Mini 10v/1GB RAM/160GB HD/ BIOS A06/SL 10.6.6
Mini 9 /2GB RAM/ 16GB SSD/BIOS A05/SL 10.6.6
OSX Installation via USB & Mac
NBMaker 0.8.4.RC1 / NBI 20100616212351
"Remember to back up your hard earned work with a boot-able disc BEFORE upgrading!"
  (#7) Old
Default 07-23-2010, 01:26 PM

If your feeling brave and want to dismantle your Dell Mini and remove the motherboard you can check to see if the DC jack is OK. I have found some DC jacks start to get movement between the pins on the jack and the motherboard causing problems.

Loving my Streak!

battery, charger, charging, power

« "Consider replacing your battery" | Reinstall XP after SL »