Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Question VGA out support? - 06-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Well i purchased my dell mini 10v about a year ago and love it. I wanted to be able to connect my mini to my tv so I could watch movies and etc. So I purchased a vga to component cable on ebay. My tv supports component in and I know it does because I have a component cable for my ps3 and it works just fine. Now when I plug it in, I get the *do do* noise and a picture comes up for a second or so then goes away. Ive tried alot of different things but I cant seem to get it to work. I also tried purchasing a vga to composite cable to see if it would work and the computer doesnt even recognize it. Am I just missing something obvious? Oh and I am currently running ubuntu remix 9.10.
  (#2) Old
Expert Member
Default 06-23-2010, 05:59 PM

I don't know with Ubuntu, but off the top of my head I'd say the GPU can't drive your TV, or your TV doesn't take an analog signal.

(#3) Old
Default 06-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Component video is an analog signal, but that isn't the problem. The cable only facilitates a physical connection to the TV, but it does not perform any conversion. The VGA port has to be able to alter it's output to match component video specs for the TV to be able to display the image, and I don't think the 10v is capable of that. These cables are for VGA cards that consolidate the various output formats it's capable of to a single multifunction port.

(#4) Old
Default 06-24-2010, 03:05 AM

I was afraid it wouldnt support it. Thats ok though I can just use my college computer once it arrives. I paid 3 grand for it so I bet it has a better vga Thankyou for your time.

« i broke my lcd on 10v | Install Windows XP on USB Thumbdrive »