Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Ubuntu killing wireless card - 06-21-2010, 05:17 AM

So for whatever reason, Ubuntu started killing my wireless card every time I log into it. When this happens, the card fails for every operating system I reboot into. The problem is resolved for Windows/OSX if I do a full shutdown, and then cold boot into either OS and not boot into Ubuntu at all.

I'm going to reinstall Ubuntu because of this. But to avoid the problem in the future, does anyone have any idea what may have caused this?

I used the adobe hack to override GPU validation for flash video. I suspected that it may be the cause, so I removed it. However it continued to happen. Note that I don't necessarily have to view a flash video for it to occur, I just do anything on the network and it dies.
  (#2) Old
Default 06-21-2010, 11:34 AM

I think I've heard about the problem in reverse (Windows turning the WiFi off, and Ubuntu not seeing it). But I haven't experienced it myself, so I never looked into it. You could try searching for things like "dualboot wireless disable", etc.

Good luck.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 06-21-2010, 10:57 PM

Reinstalling Ubuntu definitely fixed it. I haven't been able to find a cause from Google searching so I don't really know what to do to prevent it. I hope it doesn't come back, but it seems to be stable now. I'm going to pass it off as a fluke.
  (#4) Old
Default 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Hi everyone,

vesayth, did you use the ****ing b43-fwcutter ubuntu package to install your driver? I manually downloaded and compiled it following these instructions.

Thanks in advance.

« Wifi working under Ubuntu but not in Windows 7 | Upgrading to 2GB »