Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Exclamation going back from osx to windows please help!! - 06-08-2010, 12:23 AM

i want to go back to xp from osx on my mini 10v.. ive used the winsetupusb blah and all the other boot makers and all i get is the hal.dll error?? i've tried some fixes i found on the internet an no avail.. please help me this is frustrating as sh!t
  (#2) Old
Default 06-08-2010, 04:19 AM

ok i've read everything i can.. i've put windows xp from the dell restore disk on a 4 and 8 gig thumbdrive with winsetupfromusb 0.2.3 and all i get is the hal.dll is corrupt.. i went into recovery mode and expanded hal.dl_ from u drive over c drive and i still get the error.. i think its the boot.ini error that i've seen on here but dont know how to edit(or find) boot.ini from where im getting to in the process. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks! ahh also i think i might have had my recovery partition but might have deleted it in my frustration.. it was a 200mb partition?? any ideas?

mini 10v
reverse hackintoshing from os x 10.6.2 to win xp to go to win 7 ultimate
  (#3) Old
Default 06-08-2010, 06:43 AM

Have you reformatted your drive? or are you trying to install as dual boot?

I could be wrong, but your install should go fine as long as you reformat the entire drive. Boot issues and hal.dll problems occur w/ XP when you're trying to add XP w/ OS X already installed because XP likes to reside on the first partition. If you want to keep OS X along with all your files, you need to use an external drive and create an image of your Minis hard drive, and then go ahead and wipe it clean-- format the whole drive in XP setup either leaving some unpartitioned space, or a second partition to add OS X.

I would skip installing XP and just go to Windows 7... that install was less painful for me, and 7 is so much more polished.

there's supposed to be a modified Bootcamp that will work on the 10v also, but i haven't yet tried that method.

check out this thread for more details: n00b question re: SL/XP

« How much of a performance increase is an SSD going to get me? | Windows 7 Experience Index for Dell Mini 10v »