Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default keyboard screw pushes out "7" keycap - 05-19-2010, 01:49 AM

Weirdest thing happening. Got my Dell Mini 10V about 2 weeks ago, and love it (especially since it is running OSX). This morning I noticed the "7" key sticking out, slightly raised. Pushing it down did not work. Then I realized the middle screw on the bottom of the Mini, that holds the keyboard, is exactly underneath the "7" key... When I unscrewed that screw, the "7" key was flush again.
Eventually the key came off, and indeed I could clearly see the screw hole underneath it. The screw in there is obviously too long. It is a refurbished unit (just in time, since these are discontinued).
Took me a while to get the key back in, and I cannot tighten the screw, as it will push out the key again. Yes, I will look for a shorter screw, because now my keyboard is slightly flexing at the top end.
Anybody experienced the same issue?
  (#2) Old
Default 05-19-2010, 01:08 PM

If a key fell off already, I would consider that defective. If that was mine I would call Dell and explain the situation to them and tell them you want a new keyboard and new screws. It is something you can swap yourself so don't let them talk you into sending it in. Have a new keyboard sent to you and tell them you will gladly send the old one back in the same box. They may or may not agree but I would try.

« Super Drive & Hackintosh | normal 250gig hard drive transfer to 64 gig ssd »