Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Replacing broken display - 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM

This Mini 10V was dropped. It's a long story. The display is cracked. Amazingly the unit works fine when hooked to an external monitor so I am shopping for a replacement display and looking for instructions on how to disassemble the unit. I've seen a few posts showing how to replace almost every part but the display. I'm also wondering which display to order since there are a couple of resolution possibilities. Info on the display from Dell is Part #25KR8
Module, Liquid Crystal Display 10.1WSVGA, V2, Lg Philips Lcd 1011

Thank you!
  (#2) Old
Default 04-16-2010, 02:58 AM

Hi dflint,

I recently had my own Dell Mini 1011 display bezel crack so I had to take my Mini apart.

There are service manuals online which you can download and print out which will walk you through the whole process. That's the good news. The bad news is if you follow Dell's disassembly instructions, you will have to take the whole rest of the computer apart to get to the display (which isn't really bad news if you love to take things apart ).

Here's a link to the service manuals:

And here's a direct link to the display assembly:

As for which display to get, I would check the actual screen you pull for the relevant part number(/s) and stick with that.

Some tips:
1)Be careful with the display bezel (the black piece of plastic that picture frames the actual LCD) as it is incredibly thin.
2)Don't trim your fingernails before you disassemble. That way you can run them deeper into the joint cracks to pop things apart and you won't risk damaging the plastic as you would by using something metal like a knife.
3)The rubber screw covers are attached using two-faced adhesive tape. Use an exacto knife (or similar) to peel up a corner then peek under to make sure you have managed to separate the tape from the screw and not simply lifted the rubber, leaving the tape behind. If you do the later the chances are slim you will be able to peel the tape off the screw and be able to reapply it to the rubber for reinstallation. So you'll have to get a new piece of two-face adhesive tape to use from somewhere.

Good luck !
  (#3) Old
Default Thanks - 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM

I don't like taking things apart THAT much! Depending on which display I end up needing I've seen prices from $50 to $150. It looks like broken minis are selling for parts for around $100. I'm probably bite the bullet and buy a new one for $279.
I appreciate the info.

display, replacing

« question about ram and temperature | Windows 7 and screen rotation »