Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default No boot after 2gb ram upgrade - 04-07-2010, 04:02 PM

This is my first post in the community, what a great place! Here are the details of my problem:

Problem: My new 10v refuses to boot after I attempted to upgrade the RAM to 2gb. The hard drive spins, power button works, light on front comes on, but the screen is black and no bios shows (no post), no beeping or any sounds other than the harddrive.

Guide used: YouTube- Dell Mini 10v 2 GB RAM Upgade - Part 1 of 3
RAM used: new Crucial 200pin DDR2 PC2-6400

What I've done so far:

-replaced the original 1gb ram stick and put everything back together, still no boot.

-plugged in external monitor to VGA after starting it up, no external signal.

This thing was working fine with win 7 right up until I tried this ram upgrade. I was very careful and delicate with the insides and I followed the above guide exactly so I don't think I broke anything. Please someone tell me I didn't just throw $250 down the drain ! any advice is welcome, thanks!
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 04-07-2010, 04:09 PM

it sounds like something is disconnected or possibly a pinched cable somewhere, maybe take it apart again and check everything, maybe try powering it back up before you put everything together just to be able to jiggle cables while its booting....thats what I would try..Good Luck though..hopefully its something minor...

PS. Welcome to the forum....too bad it had to be under these conditions..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 04-07-2010, 04:44 PM

My guess is that the RAM is either defective or installed wrong. Try removing and reinserting the card. Make sure it is lined up properly. I would expect a beep code, at least, but basic hardware issues like this can cause strange symptoms.

Also try putting back the original RAM and see if it boots.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#4) Old
Default 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought the ram was defective at first, but when I replaced it with the original 1gb stick, nothing changed. no boot, no beep. I had read about ram seating issues, but they are both in there and lined up perfectly. I also checked that the cable which connects the display is properly seated in the connector housing. It gets pinched when it winds its way up to the display, but that is where the clamshell hinge is located and it appears to have been designed that way. ughhhh...gotta sort this one out.
  (#5) Old
Default 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM

i have two mini 10v's and one has two gigs of memory and i didn't notice any gain or power boost.
  (#6) Old
Default 04-07-2010, 09:42 PM

I think there must be some other hardware problem. Everything is exactly as it was when I received the computer. Tried jiggling all cables, original ram, nothing.... It is still under warranty, has anyone had experience sending these things back for a replacement?
  (#7) Old
Default 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM

If none of solutions above works, there may be ESD damage induced during the process. You may have the options if it is still under warranty.

Mini10v| 2GRAM| 160GB| BT(Added)| A05| QuadBoot(SnowLeopard10.6.2,WinXP.SP3,Ubuntu.Deskto p9.10,Moblin2.1)|
USB wake OFF, L support ON| NBI 8.2 -> NBI 083RC3 -> NBI 083RC4-> NBI 083Final
  (#8) Old
Default 04-07-2010, 09:59 PM

electrostatic shock? that would be my luck. it is still under warranty since I purchased it from the dell outlet last month.
  (#9) Old
Default 04-10-2010, 04:42 AM

I had no problems after upgrading to 2gb and 500gb hd. Check your connections. If you're getting power but no vid, check the connection of the screen. also, try blow out the ram slot with compressed air, sometimes dust can cause ram to not be detected.
  (#10) Old
Default 04-11-2010, 03:30 AM

I went over every connection and specifically inspected the ram slot - no dice. I suppose ESD is a possibility, but this really has me stumped. I called Dell and they said they had no idea what could cause this and said I should fedex it back to them since it is under warranty. Amazingly, the very next day a fedex box showed up and I sent it off. Crossing my fingers! I'll post the results of their service - I was pretty shocked at how fast they were since Dell has an awful reputation for customer service.

« Has your battery decayed like mine? | Bluetooth or not? »