Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default my views and questions after 5 months on a 10v - 04-03-2010, 08:51 AM

I ve been reading different posts on the forum for a few months (and that community is really helpfull) but today I post my views and questions on the mini 10v.

I got my 10v in november 2009,
I use it for work (teaching) , to bring with me on holydays or even to watch movies in my bed.

It was delivered with XP SP3,fine..
I tried different ubuntu versions, I think they are really good but I ended getting a licence for seven pro 32bits and this is really the best thing I ve tried on that netbook. It s smooth, good looking and quite nice to use (I installed 2 Go before tho, cause I tried a similar netbook with 1Go and it s not as smooth with 7)

what i like :
-I like that netbook ! And I like it even better since I installed seven.

-I like the touchpad and the keyboard.

-I like the size (except for the 6c battery) and the weight , and the charger. And I like the time you can use it on battery.

-I like the F keys to be bypassed cause I use them less than the keys like battery,volume, brightness...

what I don't like :
-at 1st, I thought the 6 cell battery is awfull, but I have to say it s quite good, not only for the extra time you can use your computer but to have a little slope when you type is nice for your hands (like on most desktop keyborads) , to carry the netB (yes, it gives some grip!) and to cool it a bit with the airflow in fact, now I quite like it.

-I dont like the F2 key because you have to click on it and then use your mouse to activate/desactivate wifi as well (when samsung and asus turn it on/off alternatively : no second action with mouse)

-I think some other brand have a better finish (samsung N140 is great !!) but for the price , it s ok.and yes it s not resting properly on the table for me as well

-I hate the bright screen

-it can get quite hot sometime but that s the price to pay if you want silence, so it s fine.

-mine is black and thus, never clean, I d like a white one.

-I think i dont like space bar to be a little bit higher than the rest of the keyboard. Before changing the ram, it was quite uneven as well on the keyboard, O and P keys were a bit higher, giving a nice (not) wave shape. I suppose i did better placing back the keyboard than the person in the factory (I don t blame him cause he probably does that all day long )

finally, time for questions :
I got a desktop comp and the mini is not something on which I need a lot of space, so I really want to change the hard drive and install a SSD. Hopefully , before the end of 2010, the prices will be better. I think I could live with a 32 Go SSD or 40 Go max is fine.

I ve searched a bit and an intel 40 Go can be found just above 100€ here in France which is still a bit too much for a 250€ netbook but it should drop a bit maybe. I am a bit lost on size tho (2,5" for sure) but the thickness? I saw there are 7mm or 9,5mm sometimes and what is the link to use (SATA or mini pciexpress?)

cheers for replying and reading
  (#2) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 01:29 PM

For the 10v, you want a SATA SSD. The Intel can be used for applications either as 9.5mm or 7mm - it has a plastic spacer that can be removed. 2.5" is the correct size.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 04-03-2010, 05:57 PM

« new 10v user, need some help | No WIFI after waking from Sleep & F2 to turn WIFI on/off »