Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Screen resolution set too high and screen blank now - 03-27-2010, 04:50 PM

Please bear with me as I am a newbie and have limited technical IT skills.

I have installed mac osx on my new Mini 10v and it was running fine all settings good. I wanted to install a Canon EOS solutions disc but a message came up that the screen resolution was insufficient. The system settings for screen resolution didn't have an option beyond the 1024 x 600. The Canon disc required a minimum of 1024 x 768. Using Switchresx I managed to set a custom resolution of 1024 x 768. As soon as I set this the screen turned purple and no details of anything appears - a total blank screen.

I have tried everything to restore the settings, to no avail, so I am desperate for help. Any ideas gratefully received.

A secondary question would then be how do I resolve the Canon installation - I tried hooking up to another monitor but this didn't work. Help would also be appreciated.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-27-2010, 08:57 PM

One simple solution i can think of is to plug ur 10v to a external monitor and set the resolution there back to 1024x600.

10v | OS X 10.6.2 | 1GB RAM | BIOS A05 | NBI RC5
  (#3) Old
Default 03-28-2010, 01:38 AM

Just guessing, but you could try booting in Safe Mode (if that's possible on the 10v). On a normal Mac, reboot, and hold down the shift key after the startup sound. I don't know if this would really reset the resolution, but it's quick to try.

(#4) Old
Default 05-16-2010, 09:02 PM

I had the same issue: plugged in external monitor, that restored previous resolution pairing/settings, deleted the custom resolution in SwitchResX, restarted.

But why is it not working? What am I/ the OP doing wrong in SwitchResX? I need a higher resolution to install Adobe Illustrator. . .

attached is the custom resolution in SwitchResX. (chose standard, 1024x768 60Hz, then switch it to custom)

(#5) Old
Default 05-21-2010, 12:33 AM

I'm not sure that you can do that since the display is physically only 600 pixels high.

Here's a thread that talks about rescaling the display to "zoom it out" so that you can fit more (scaled down) in the 600 pixel display...

Virtually increase your Dell Mini Screen Resolution
  (#6) Old
Default 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Scaling the programs down, does not solve the problem. Some applications require a certain minimum resolution.

I've seen multiple posts on this forum stating SwitchResX was able to switch to 1024x768, with the bottom pixels just cut off. The posters haven't given any details that have helped me successfully do the same.

« Wireless Disconnecting | Alternate AC adaptor »