Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Can this old Dell make be a boot disk - 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Hi All,

The forums have been really helpful so far, and thank you all for your help! Such an amazing amount of knowledge and experience- I really appreciate it.

Before starting on the magical journey that is hackintoshing a 10v, I wanted to ask this question:

I’m going to be doing this very much by the book, including the USB boot disk needed from a PC. I have a super old Dell Latitude, running Windows 2000 Professional edition, and Dell Bios A23 according to the startup screen. This machine came installed with Win98, and it seems that someone installed 2000 pro over that (thankfully). But when rolling back the 10v’s bios… will booting from a disk made like this end up doing something weird?

Since many people have referenced making the boot disk with either XP or Win7, I wanted to see if I should just make this on a friend’s computer, or if I can use this. As this is the first step in installing Snow leopard, I’d rather get it right rather than risk embarrassing brickage. I’m only installing SL, and don’t really need to worry about any fancy dual-boot stuff.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM

No answer to "will it work". But if your computer is so old as to have USB 1.1 (vs. USB2) ports, the process could take a very long time.

Netbook: Mini 10v, BIOS A05, OS X 10.6.4, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, BT

bios, boot disk, snow leoopard, usb, windows

« Mini 10v Battery Behavior with non-Dell ones? | battery unrecognized on startup »