Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v and Solid State Drives - 03-01-2010, 05:57 PM

All comments welcomed regarding brand of ssd used and pro's/con's of your drive. This will benefit 10v owners interested in upgrading to a solid state drive.
  (#2) Old
Default 03-02-2010, 03:04 AM

I am certainly interested in this sector...We need some input from you guys!
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to DVelasco68 Send a message via MSN to DVelasco68 Send a message via Yahoo to DVelasco68
Default 03-02-2010, 03:35 AM

I've posted this before, and I think that a SSD is really good, and they are only getting better...

63.6 MB/s average Read speed is nothing to sneeze at... especially since it stays the same probably until nearly full capacity....

Dell mini 10v, 2GB Memory, N280 1.66Mhz, 1.3Mp Camera, 56WHr Lithium-Ion Battery (6-cell) Two HD's - 1st -Windows 7(120GB) & 2nd-OS X 10.6.6(16GB SSD) - (soon to be dual boot)
  (#4) Old
Default 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM

thanks for the comments....keep em coming, especially if anyone has experience in which drives are recommended for OSX. From what I've been reading - some of the cheaper ssd's are not recommended for primary os install, but as a second drive (ie PQI or even some from Crucial?)

Again, any comments on which drives are good for primary os install, are most welcome....or any info on ssd's in general

(#5) Old
Default 03-05-2010, 06:06 AM

I have used an OCZ 60GB Vertex and an Apple 128GB in my 10v under OS X. Both ran great, gave about 30min more battery life.

The OCZ is rated to work at faster speeds than the APPLE Samsung, but on the 10v it is about the same due to the SATA interface used on the 10v.

I say go for the most space for $$$, you will not be disappointed!

Vostro A90 | 2Gb | 64GB RunCore Pro IV Light | Snow Leopard 10.6.3 | NBI 0.8.4 RC1 | Internal Sprint U720 WWAN | Dell 1510 Wireless N Rebranded to Airport Extreme
  (#6) Old
Default 03-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Yes with osx. look in my sig to get information about the drive. not the fastest one, but much better then 5400rpm hdd, no noise, and makes me happy because it wasnt the expensivest too.

mini10v | 10.6.3 | 2GB RAM | 64GB SSDNOW V-Series | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | A06 | BT:no | WAKEn LEGACYff
  (#7) Old
Default 03-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Corsair PE128 boot drive in my Hackbook for a month or so. It is excellent, especially if you keep it "reconditioned." See Diglloyd.

The new OWC SSDs look to be awesome. In fact I would part with my $399 Corsair for a mere three bills or so just so I could pick up an OWC.
  (#8) Old
Default interesting wikipedia quote on ssd's - 03-05-2010, 04:46 PM

I decided to educate myself a little more on ssd's - thought I'd share an interesting point:

"Quality and performance
SSD is a rapidly developing technology. A January 2009 review of the market by technology reviewer Tom's Hardware concluded that comparatively few of the tested devices showed acceptable I/O performance, with several disappointments,[45] and that Intel (who make their own SSD chipset) still produces the best performing SSD drive as of this time; a view also echoed by Anandtech.[46] In particular, operations that require many small writes, such as log files, are particularly badly affected on some devices, potentially causing the entire host system to freeze for periods of up to one second at a time.[47]
According to Anandtech, this is due to controller chip design issues with a widely used set of components, and at least partly arises because most manufacturers are memory manufacturers only, rather than full microchip design and fabrication businesses — they often rebrand others' products,[48] inadvertently replicating their problems.[49] Of the other manufacturers in the market, Memoright, Mtron, OCZ, Samsung and Soliware were also named positively for at least some areas of testing.
The overall conclusion by Tom's Hardware however, was that "none of the [non-Intel] drives were really impressive. They all have significant weaknesses: usually either low I/O performance, poor write throughput or unacceptable power consumption".[45]
OCZ has recently unveiled OCZ Vertex 2 Pro which is currently the fastest MLC SSD drive with a Sandforce Controller onboard performing more or less as the Intel X25-E series SSD drives.[50]"
  (#9) Old
Default 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Well, the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro never made it to market, other than a "Limited Edition" run of 500 with unknown longevity. The SSD market has changed a lot since that article was written - has some good articles on the topic.

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old
Default 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Well, the OCZ Vertex 2 Pro never made it to market, other than a "Limited Edition" run of 500 with unknown longevity. The SSD market has changed a lot since that article was written - has some good articles on the topic.
Thanks for the update...I've been wondering now about the Intel X25 M - anyone have this and/or do a dual boot of SL/7?

« Can't install Intel RST on 10v | Thinking of making this my desktop, some questions »