Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Advice Needed: 10v or HP Mini 210? - 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM

I'm in the market for a netbook, and have narrowed my search to these two models, the Dell Mini 10v and HP Mini 210.

Here are some of the pros and cons as I see it for each:

Dell Mini 10v:

- Easy to install OS X.

- old N270 processor.
- not as stylish in my opinion.
- keyboard not as nice.
- no option to upgrade to HD display.
- Difficult to perform hardware upgrades.

HP Mini 210:

- Easy to upgrade hardware (ram, hard drive, broadcom HD card, keyboard, etc.)
- More stylish in my opinion.
- Better battery life due to newer N450 pinetrail processor.
- Nicer keyboard.

- Difficult to install OS X.

Ultimately, it comes down to how crucial it is for me to run OS X on the netbook. Taking that out of the equation, I think I'm definitely more interested in the HP 210. It would be nice to run OS X occasionally but it's not necessary a deal-breaker for me. I was hoping you guys could provide any other insight or advice on anything I may have overlooked.

(#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM

well, being as where you are on the MyDellMini forum I think that most of the opinions will be a bit jaded....I personally did research before I bought mine and I chose the Mini 10 (1010) not the 10v, I didn't and still don't care about OSX, but there were features/options I wanted on the Netbook such as an HD screen (1333x768) and the TV Tuner (which the 10v doesnt offer)...I also got the 6cell and bluetooth and the wireless 'n' options but that's just Laptop (big HP,17in 3.2ghz Pentium 4) is my main machine but I went with a Dell HP is about 4yrs old now and my Mini is only 5 months but the Mini is my baby, I love it, I dual boot XP & Win 7 and have had zero issues with it, the only thing I did was upgrade to a 500gb hard drive..which took like 5mins to do, the only thing I dont like is that it only has 1gb RAM, hopefully someday Dell will release an affordable daughterboard upgrade (the memory is soldered on the daughterboard along with the processor (the 10v has a SIMM module which just pops in/out with quite a bit of trouble) so it makes it an expensive upgrade..right now Dell wants $554 for the board...not for me (yet)....I recommend the Dell..but the final choice is yours...Good Luck with your decision and Welcome to the forum...

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Hi aberg83, and welcome to the Forum!

I was not too familiar with the HP Mini 210 until you mentioned it, but having done a quick bit of 'googling' it does look like a very attractive netbook indeed.

I am not sure whether or not Bluetooth is an option, which may or may not matter to you, and of course the importance of OS X compatibility is something only you can decide really.

It may in fact be possible to 'hackintosh' this particular model in due course, and I am sure that some of our members who have experience in this area will be able to comment further.

Personally, I hadn't even thought about a 'Mini Mac' until I purchased my 10v, but having done so, I am very pleased that I did!

Good Luck with whatever you choose anyway!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« Mini 10v (Ubuntu 8.4) Internet connection problems | Power light interface - is it USB? »