Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Default 02-16-2010, 01:09 AM

I did the 2GB upgrade (Crucial chip) also and it was fairly easy if you have done any type of upgrade to any other computer. The hardest thing is removing the cable connections. Take your time!!! There is no need to hurry!!! I used the video as my guide and it is very easy to follow. I also uprgrade the hard drive since I was already in there.

(#12) Old
Default 02-16-2010, 03:56 AM

If you're even slightly mechanically inclined, the RAM upgrade should be no issue. I found the hardest part to be removing the sub-structure that the keyboard rests in.

I can't say that I've noticed a difference, but then again, I had my 2gb stick of RAM before the mini arrived and I only turned it on twice before upgrading.
  (#13) Old
Default 02-16-2010, 06:53 PM

Alright, you guys have convinced me to do it.
I'll try to buy some RAM soon

Mini 10v/Slackware 13.37 RC π
  (#14) Old
Default 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM

congrats bud, it's a hassle to do the upgrade compared to the mini 9.

Black Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.1 / Windows 7 Ultimate / Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 2 GB RAM | 120GB HD | NBI 0.8.3 Final | 6 Cell Battery | BIOS A06 | USB Legacy Mode: OFF | Bluetooth: None
  (#15) Old
Default 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by piratesmack View Post
Alright, you guys have convinced me to do it.
I'll try to buy some RAM soon
i got 2 gigs at the local microcenter for about $'ll probably get it cheaper and avoid shipping by going to a computer shop (not best buy) instead of crucial.

mini 10v | osx 10.6.8 on 106gb | win8 dev preview on 106gb | ubuntu 11.10 alpha on 106gb | nbi 0.8.4(modified) | 320gb | 2 gigs ram
  (#16) Old
Default 02-18-2010, 12:41 PM

I did mine yesterday works super good now.
  (#17) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Yeah, there really isn't much to the RAM upgrade, it just takes time and patience, and a little bit of being careful. It looks very daunting though.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#18) Old
Send a message via MSN to Jason Beck
Default 02-19-2010, 03:12 AM

I am considering doing this too. More ram is always nice. I want to upgrade the ram and the HDD in this little bad boy. Anyone had a good experience
putting a SSD into a Mini 10? I am thinking about a 64gb one. ^__^

[Mac Mini 2.26ghz,4gb DDR3, 500GB HDD,geforce 9400,WD My Passport 500GB, Magic Mouse/Wireless Apple KB][Dell Mini 10v, OSX][]
  (#19) Old
Super Moderator
Default 02-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Hi Jason... I assume you mean in a 10v here (rather than a 10) as that is what you show in your 'sig'?

When I upgraded my RAM I also took the opportunity to install a OCZ Vertex 64 GB SSD (although they actually describe it as a 60GB so as to give a more realistic idea of the actual formatted capacity!) at the same time.

I would have liked a larger one, but the price was rather a limiting factor! The actual installation process is easy, it just virtually plugs in, and it is great to have a completely silent Mini!

I went for the OCZ, partly after reading a very interesting review by Anantech, and also the excellent and very active manufacturers forum, in which staff members play a very active roll, and issue regular firmware updates, with loads of hints and performance tips.

I am not really into serious 'benchmarking' and stuff, but the general reviews and other user experiences of this particular model were enough to persuade me that it was the right one to go for at the time.

Mind you, things move on so quickly these days, and you will probably have noticed a recent model from RunCore, who advertise on MDM, which sounds very fast, although I have to say that I hadn't actually heard of them before!

I can see we are in danger of 'hijacking' this thread here, but you will find that these have been discussed in other sections also.

Edit: I am very taken with 'Lovely Legs'!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#20) Old
Default 02-19-2010, 05:25 PM

I have been reading everything about upgrading and I am going to buy some new RAM as well. I saw one on amazon for pretty cheap

« Mini 10v wont let me install Win 7 Starter... :-( | Overclocking the 10v »