Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Jan 2010
How to unbrick a Mini 10v using a floppy drive! - 02-04-2010, 04:46 AM
Download the following 2 files:
"I1010_A04 BIOS Recovery.zip" from the attachment in the 4th post by somms
"10v-BIOS-A05.zip" from the attachment in the 1st post by adster
Downgrade your Mini 10v to BIOS A05 without a USB Drive (Using Windows)
Now that you have those downloading, here's what you do from a PC with a floppy drive.:
1. Run the program from I1010_A04 BIOS Recovery all the way through. Press Enter when it says to remove the floppy disc (don't actually remove it).
2. Open up your floppy via My Computer. You should see 3 files (minidos.sys, phlash16.exe and bios.wph).
3. Delete bios.wph (since it's for the inspiron1010 and not the 1011)
4. Extract "bios.rom" from the 10v-BIOS-A05.zip and put it on the floppy.
5. Rename "bios.rom" ti bios.wph.
6. You can now eject the floppy from your PC and place it in your external floppy drive.
7. Remove the battery from the 10v and make sure that the power cable is NOT connected.
8. Connect the floppy drive in the top left USB port (beneath the power supply cable).
9. Hold down the "End" and "Fn" buttons and connect the power cable.
10. Press the power button while still holding the above buttons down.
Now, if all goes well your external floppy reader should be lighting up and making noise and then your 10v PC Speaker should start beeping and booping. This is good. Do like The Beatles and LET IT BE! The 10v will reboot by itself when it's done.
Hope this helped you guys. I found this by combining some techniques found on these forums (since no one I could see brought back a 10v from the dead before) and hoping the renaming the BIOS file actually worked.
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
03-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Tell him for $50 bucks you will give him the instructions to unbrick a 10v.
Join Date: Mar 2010
03-17-2010, 06:05 AM
I am getting ready to downgrade my 10v BIOS from A06 to A05...have read several posts citing fear of bricking their mini/have bricked their mini doing this. This gives me peace of mind-safety net-as I downgrade. Thank you for the info.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Barrie, Ontario
03-23-2010, 04:11 AM
but yes, this does give me peace of mind when playing with bios settings and what not.
Join Date: Mar 2010
03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
Yes it's true that NBI 0.8.4 will allow osx install without downgrading BIOS from A06 to A04, but only if installing Snow Leopard (10.6 OSX). I had purchased Leopard a year ago so I was relegated to downgrading and using older install guides.
But as of tonight I had successful triple boot install of OSX 10.5.6, Windows 7 Ultimate and a Ubuntu 9.1. Hell ya!!!!! Thanks to everyone for all your posts, guides and other assistance.
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.