Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Operating System Not Found! - 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM

I want to re-install the XP Home SP3 that came on the reinstall CD. I have set USB Storage as the boot device in the bios settings. I've also tried setting CD/DVD as the boot device. No difference. It seems to be reading the CD, then comes up with "Operating System Not Found."

If I boot up into Snow Leopard, it shows up in the Finder as "XP_Home_SP3 and has a bunch of files on it.

My CD/DVD drive is one that I pulled out of a desktop computer and I'm getting power and data connections to it through a USB hard drive enclosure.

Anyone know why SL can find files on this CD, but the mini doesn't seem able to boot from it--indeed, doesn't even think it can find a Windows operating system?

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 PM ----------

I just now noticed that the drive has jumpers on the back. I wonder if there is a jumper setting that needs changed?

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

OK, I tried all three jumper settings (Master, Slave, Cable Select) and it made no difference.
  (#2) Old
Default 02-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Legacy USB on in BIOS?

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#3) Old
Default 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Yes. Thanks for checking though.
  (#4) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 02-02-2010, 09:10 PM

I found occasionally with some drives the BIOS doesn't pick up the drive being connected, and when you press F12 and see the menu, there's nothing beside CD/DVD or USB Storage to indicate it's available. Pick it manually anyway and see what happens. I've had to do that a few times back when I was installing OS X and Windows 7.

Getting an iPad

« New Member :) | How many OS's to install »