Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Talking 10v Touch Screen Hack Complete - 02-02-2010, 07:41 PM

As a proud owner of a Mini 10v, I became jealous after seeing the touch screen hacks for the Mini 9 and I longed to have my 10v respond to my gentle caress..

Thus began the Great Touchscreen Adventure of aught-nine.

After doing some research, I quickly dismissed the possibility of a multi-touch screen due to A) cost and 2) availability. The only kit I found was close to $200 and on eBay, which seemed kinda shady. I reserved myself to using one of those Hoda Kits and began asking Google where I could find one for my 10v. Mon dieu! Such a product doesn't exist! I then took a closer look at the install instructions found at www.mydigitaldiscount.com for all the Hoda Kits and figured that they all came with a USB controler and that I'd figure some way to jam it in my 10v. I promptly added the Hoda 10.1" Touchscreen Kit for the Lenovo S10e to my Amazon wish list and stongly suggested that my girlfriend get it for me for chanistmanzaa.

The kit arrived late december and I promptly threw caution to the wind and began tearing apart my little computer. As expected, none of the cables that came with the screen would would with the guts of the 10v. To solve this, I reasoned that the touch controller was basically a USB hub with a connection for the touch screen. So I took the cable that was suppose to connect to the Lenovo webcam, cut off the end and tinned the leads. I then took the controller board in the 10v for the left USB ports and snipped the leads on the back one of the ports and soldered the cable to the leads.

I partially reassembled computer to see if this worked. YES! Windows 7 picked up the controller board and I could poke the overlay and the mouse would double click on things I didnt want it to double click.

I then took the computer apart again to find a place to stick the controller board and clean things up. Much to my chagrin, the 10v is so well put together there isn't much space left on the inside. The only space I could find was next to the wireless card, and I had to take the snips to the case a bit to make the stupid thing fit. I then ran the cable from the now defunt USB port to the controller board, snipping bits of the case as I went, and the touch screen cable from the controller to the overlay.

Reassemble computer, turn on computer, touch no longer works. wtf.

Disassemble computer, check connections, partially assemble, turn on computer, touch works. yay!

Reassemble computer, turn on computer, touch no longer works. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

At this point I figure there must be some interference or pressure or something that's messing with it, so I take it all apart again and try again. This goes on for a few more iterations before I finally get the computer fully assembled (apart from the screen bezel, couldn't be bothered) and the touch screen working.

So I finally have my touch screen and I'm only down 1 USB port. When I find some time, I'll attach the non working port to the controller board and then be back to my standard 3 USB ports.

My original thought was to make this into a tablet, but the stupid monitor cable wont reach and I'm a little heasatent to snip that cable to solder extensions on it. So for now I'll worry myself with the bezel and adding back the mangled USB port.

Parts used:
  • Hoda 10.1" Touch Screen Kit for Lenovo S10e
  • Solder
  • Soldering Iron
  • Snips
  • Screw Driver
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Time
  • Patience

Notes:
  • There isn't much space in the computer for parts
  • It doesn't look like MDD currently has any 10.1" kits in stock

Cost:
Free for me, $85ish for you.

Pictures:
I'll add more later, but here's a picture of the final product:

Mini 10v Touch Screen hack on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

EDIT: ================================================== ===================

I've updated the pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weathej...7623211586143/

(#2) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 08:25 PM

Congratulations to both your stamina and the result!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weathejx View Post
Reassemble computer, turn on computer, touch no longer works. wtf.
Disassemble computer, check connections, partially assemble, turn on computer, touch works. yay!
Reassemble computer, turn on computer, touch no longer works. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
Coulda been a bad soldering point (moved before really cold? dull gray surface of the tin pearl?) or a lack of insulation around the hub board.

Anyway --- the hard won enjoys the most. (Girls of all ages have known that for ages, unfortunatelyl sometimes they overdo it --- SNCR)

g.
  (#3) Old

Default 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Greet Works!!!!
  (#4) Old

Default awesome! - 02-02-2010, 09:03 PM

Glad to see someone has accomplished this. How is the final result working for you? Has the touch screen rendered the already-crap trackpad completely useless? Any attempts at hackintosh? I'm interested in how the screen works under Windows 7 as well as Mac OS X.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 02-03-2010, 12:16 AM

What's the resolution on this screen? Same as the stock screen?
  (#6) Old

Default 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM

Er... I think it is the stock screen but with a touch sensitive overlay isn't it?

Mini 10v | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 1510 N Wireless | BT 2.1 | OSX 10.6.4 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | Bios A04 | 1010 Touchpad | Magic Mouse
  (#7) Old

Send a message via MSN to Side.Step.Society
Default 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM

Gah, suppose I should've read more instead of just looking at the pictures. This picture was not worth a thousand words.
  (#8) Old

Default 02-05-2010, 08:26 PM

finally somebody tried my idea! (prob lots of other peoples ideas to but still i like to feel at least somewhat special ) I have more ideas for an actual slate tablet mod ive been toying with for a while. This is some great news! keep it up man!

17 inch MBP - 2.5ghz, 4 gig ram, 250gig 7200rpm HDD, Nvidia 8600 512mb overclocked!!!, Snow Leo/Windows 7 ultimate
Dell Mini 10v - 2 gig ram/120gig hdd/Snow Leo/Looking into a touchscreen mod (still)
Dell Mini 9 - 2 gig ram/32 gig STEC/Windows 7 Pro/Snow Leo/Dell 1500 N wireless/what will become of this little lappy....?
  (#9) Old

Default 02-11-2010, 08:58 PM

It is a touch screen overlay, it seems to work pretty well.

It's still going strong and gets a lot of questions on the bus when i play solitaire or take notes with the pen.

over all, very happy with the result.

Dell Mini 10v - Upgraded to 2GB RAM, 10.1" Touch Screen Kit
  (#10) Old
Expert Member

Default 02-14-2010, 01:15 AM

I've used touchscreens on my PDA and GPS units for a number of years but…

what would a touchpad on a 10v accomplish? That is, what does touch on the screen of a machine that doesn't fit in 1 hand do?

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral

Tags
10v, hack, mini, touch, touch screen

« 10v SSD type?? | Wireless connection problem...help? »