Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Exclamation "Missing operating system" HELP! - 01-15-2010, 04:44 PM

I had Moblin on my Mini 10v, but wanted the Ubuntu Moblin Remix instead, because it has more drivers. But when I was burning a IMG to my USB, I typed "sda" instead of "sdc", which resulted with this message on startup:

"Missing operating system.

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This product blah blah blah patents blah blah

For Realtek KTL8101E/8102E(L)/8103E(L) PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.13 (081016)

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM."

Then it does nothing but beep when I type anything. Even if I have a bootable USB in the 10v, it jumps straight to this screen after I've chose to boot it. So I can't install a new OS.

All I really want to do now is to install XP or something. I would love if someone could help me?
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 01-15-2010, 04:56 PM

1st thing I would do is verify that the UBS IS bootable, try checking it in another system.

2nd how are you trying to boot into the USB, are you going into the boot screen by hitting f2 or 0 or whatever it is on your system and choosing the Legacy USB option?

PS: Welcome to the forum

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old
Default 01-16-2010, 04:06 PM

happened to me a while back, i think it may be something to do with the drive itself being corrupt. to fix it i had to do several reformatting as even after a few, it still picked up the fault

Alpine White Mini 10v - 160GB HDD - 1GB RAM - 3-cell battery - 1.3 webcam - Dual Boot - Windows 7 Ultimate/Mac OS X 10.6.2 - Chameleon 8.3 RC4
  (#4) Old
Default 01-20-2010, 10:16 PM

You wiped out the partition table of your internal disk when you copied the image to sda. I shot myself in the foot like that a while ago. Could not boot from the internal drive or any bootable USB stick. I spent a lot of time rebuilding the USB sticks. That didn't help. The boot routines all must look at the partition table of the internal drive. I had to reformat my internal drive and reload everything from scratch.

Mini 10v Triple Boot, OS-X 10.6.3, Windows 7 Starter, Ubuntu Netbook Remix

If it's not broke, take it apart and see how it works
  (#5) Old
Default 01-20-2010, 11:14 PM

the same happened to me while hackintoshing. i was freaking out... but the solution was simple. used the win7 disk to make a usb stick bootable with dos commands. then copied all of the files from the disk to the stick. i was able to boot into win7 install just fine.

see this link, Creating Bootable Vista / Windows 7 USB Flash Drive at Kevin’s Blog

mini 10v, missing, moblin, operating, system

« Disabled options in BIOS? | 2GB Ram Upgrade »