Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Angry New to 10V and need some answers. - 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM

I am a new owner of a Dell 10V and I am having a hard time getting some straight forward answers regarding them. I ordered the thing from Dell on Black Friday and did a few upgrades (CPU & Bluetooth). When I ordered it the only OS was Win 7 Starter, which I ordered before learning anything about its short comings. I noticed when I ordered it that it came with 1GB only but in the notations it said upgradeable to 2GB.

After receiving the Dell and starting to use it, I like it for the most part but I was irritated about the background restriction.

I contacted Dell support the next day to ask them about it. After 2 hours on the phones and several transfers I spoke with a so-called technical support person who told me that my 10V was not upgradeable past 1GB of RAM (something about the RAM being attached to the processor and both would have to be replaced at a huge expense) and that I should buy Win 7 Home Premium (for $119 not the $79 that Microsoft lists), and then he proceeded to try and sell me their DVD-Rom. I told him I would think about it.

Since then I have heard and read conflicting reports about weather or not I can upgrade the RAM and if Win 7 Home Premium will run on 1GB RAM or just drain the system resources.

I contacted Dell support again and rather than answering these questions, they advise me just to return it.

Can anyone give me a straight forward answer? Did I purchase a mystical 10V that can’t have RAM added to it and does Win 7 Home Premium run on the 10V as is.

Thanks for reading this and letting me vent.
  (#2) Old
Default 01-05-2010, 06:43 PM

You can replace the 1 GB RAM by a 2 GB module. It is a fairly involved process requiring a pretty complete disassembly but not a big challenge. Some links: Upgrading the RAM in the Dell Mini 10v (with videos and guide) and the top part of this file Mac Users' View on Hackintoshing a Mini 10v . This is the memory module I now have in my 10v

Do you need to go from 1 GB to 2 GB? An open question and likely depends on how many apps you have open at one time.

I've not tried a full install of Win 7 but am running OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard). Others run Linux and WinXP.

(#3) Old
Expert Member
Default 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM

Many people are happy with real versions of W7 on 1GB of RAM. I have the RC version on my 10, not 10v, with 1GB and am just fine with it.
Also, it is the 10 that has the integrated RAM/CPU board that is non-upgradable, not the 10v.
As stated above, it's not very easy but is doable if your comfortable taking your Mini apart

« wifi dropping packets in W7 & Flakey in OSX! | Issues with mini 10v »