Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Is it possible to permanently brick a 10v? - 12-15-2009, 01:22 AM

i downgraded to A04 bios awhile ago, and It went fine. All these people talk about how you can brick your computer if you do something wrong.

If you accidentally brick it, then couldn't you buy a new bios chip from ebay and swap them? I think you have to solder them, but if you get it right, would it unbrick the system?
  (#2) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 04:13 AM

The days of 'soldering a new chip' are just about over, at least for many folks. The 'chip' (if it is even a separate chip) will be surface mount, which requires a special setup to rework, and even then, it would likely be challenging to get the balls on the chip lined up with the board. Even professional rework shops have troubles sometimes reworking flash/memory chips.

I don't know how the bios flash is arranged on the 10v. Dell will have a reflash procedure they can do in a depot but it might involve a JTAG unit (a special hardware debugging tool) or other specialized software and hardware.

In short, don't screw up. :-)
  (#3) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 01:21 PM

I was pretty scared downgrading, after it did all of the beeping the screen just went blank so I thought it bricked. Thankfully that was not the case and I hit power and it fired back up whew. Anyone know what the cost is to have it repaired from a failed bios update? Shouldn't Dell cover that under warranty? Or would they not because they would think you were trying to put osx on it?
  (#4) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 05:29 PM

Do you think Dell's tech support folks are likely to even know what a Mac is, never mind MacOS X?
  (#5) Old
Default 12-15-2009, 06:56 PM

Well, technically, if you cant tun it on/get into the OS, Dell has no idea you were running OSX

Check out my guide for installing SL 10.6.2 on your brand new Dell Mini 10v!

« Service Code Invalid | Stop moving MY post! osx86sv a06 update »