Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Question Having problems aquiring an IP address - 12-14-2009, 01:21 PM

I just recoverd my mini from a nasty virus. now whenever I try to connect to the internet, either wireless or wired I have problems aquiring an IP. I just bought a brand new router so I know there are no issues there. also my mack and my PS3 can get a solid connection both wired and wireless. I tried re-installing the driver and i read that there is a hardware issue with the wireless card so i even tried installing a different driver all together. That is about the tip of my limited tech abilities. Please help
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Default 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM

If you are running under Windows it might be worth doing a complete re-install.

A bit of a pain I know, but at least you would then be 100% sure that you were starting with a 'clean sheet', as it were!

... and if you are looking for a good, free anti virus program a lot of folks on here (including myself) use Microsoft Security Essentials... again assuming of course that you are using Windows!

P.S. Just realised that this is your first post, so Welcome to MyDellMini!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#3) Old
Send a message via AIM to jdcnosse Send a message via MSN to jdcnosse Send a message via Yahoo to jdcnosse
Default 12-14-2009, 04:13 PM

When you downloaded the drivers from Dell did a program get installed to manage your network connections?

My brother and sister-in-law had a problem similar when I recently fixed their laptop. Basically they have Charter broadband internet, and so instead of using Charter's drivers for the device, I got the regular drivers off the manufacturer's website. When I installed it, I told it to use Windows XP for managing the wireless connections, but when they shut it down it reverted back to the manufacturer's program, and they lost the connection.

But I think after I changed it back the second time it hasn't done it since.

Custom-built | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 | 2GB RAM | 1.4TB total HDD space | ATI Radeon HD 4650 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

« wireless problem. cannot connect to 802.11b router | mini 10v restore... built-in ! »