Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Mini best value for hackintosh?? - 11-30-2009, 08:32 PM

Hello all. I've been reading various hackintosh topics off and on for about a year now. I know a little but definitely am NO expert. Is the Mini 10v the best bang for you buck to make a hackintosh?? I'm wanting to play with OS X for an extended period of time and see if it does what I want to do with it---picture slide shows and home movies to DVD)video editing). I know the 10v isn't a powerhouse, but can it handle these tasks...or is it better suited for websurfing and thats basicly it? I need some quick answers as Dell has the 10v on sale today on CYBER MONDAY and I can get it ship to me for $322. If I like OS X, I was planning on getting a new iMac or Macbook Pro.---DrAsus

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ---------- Dell White Slimed Inspiron Mini Nickelodeon Edition Netbook PC with Intel Atom Processor & Windows XP: Computers

IS this one a 10v as well???
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM

I personally feel that the Dell Mini 10v is one of the most simple and straightforward "Hackintosh" implementations... thanks to the diligent work of meklort and other developers in the community that have crafted patching techniques that make installation so simple.

The Mini 10v feels like it was built to run OSX, since all hardware is supported out of the box using NetbookInstaller. You even get multitouch on the trackpad! (although the trackpad is still nothing to brag about).

I find that my 10v is the perfect companion on-the-go and for class. I am not sure if I would really recommend it for a primary machine or to do extensive video editing. I do not have much experience with those tasks on a Mini... so I am not even able to give advise on purchasing an external display, keyboard and mouse to use with the Mini to make things more bearable.

I mainly use my Mini for web surfing, checking mail, taking notes, music, video, Skype, etc etc.

If you are looking for a more powerful Hackintosh solution then I would advise checking out LifeHacker or InsanelyMac. LifeHacker had an article about building a "Hack Pro" for about $900 which was quite a power-house and would run Snow Leopard nearly as easily as these Minis. They had quite a simple installation guide.

On top of all this, I do not personally feel that the price you are paying ($322) on Cyber Monday is anything great. I nabbed my brand new, straight-from-Dell, Mini 10v with 160Gb HDD, 2 year warranty, N270, 1Gb RAM, etc etc for $300 shipped. Many others have used coupons or the Dell Outlet and gotten even slicker deals. Just saying. Don't let that stop your purchase though!

Good luck and Welcome to My Dell Mini!

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#3) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 11-30-2009, 08:43 PM

Yes it is.

Getting an iPad

« Hackintoshers...unite! | I love my mini 10v »