Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Plz Dell Mini 10v just crapped the bed - 11-27-2009, 11:22 PM

I bought this refurbished mini 10v about a month ago. I installed SL on and it ran splendidly...until yesterday. For whatever reason, it did not turn on (aka it crapped the bed). I didn't install anything or tried anything funky with the bios. I didn't drop it. It didn't get wet. I simply turned on the power button and the power indicator light would come on, but the screen remained "off." There is nothing. No bios screen. Nada. Zilch.

I am pretty much a newb to the Mini 10v world. I've done some searches on this forum for help, but I am not sure what is the best route to attempt to fix this. Is there a consensus from this community as to what is the best method to fix a bricked 10v? Has anyone been successful with fixing a bricked 10v?

I found some potential fixes posted for the Mini 9 or Mini 10, but not exactly for the 10v. Would these methods work for the 10v or should I just send it back to Dell? I am kind of skiddish on sending the 10v back to Dell, since I have SL installed. Would it void my warranty to send it back to Dell with it installed?

Thank you for any help you guys are able to provide.
  (#2) Old
Default 11-28-2009, 12:16 AM

I don't know man. Do you own a MAC? If it were me, I would pull the drive and connect it to my computer and wipe it and do it over. If that doesn't work, I imagine it's a hardware issue.

Dell Mini 10v Mac OSX 10.6.2 1 GB RAM 160GB HDD BIOS A05 Blue Tooth 1510 WLAN 802.11g /n

NBI 8.2 -> NBI 8.3RC2 -> NBI 8.3RC3 -> NBI 8.3RC5 -> NBI 8.3 alpha

USB Legacy Disabled | USB Wake Enabled | BT Enabled |
  (#3) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 11-28-2009, 02:10 AM

I dont think that loading an OS would void your warranty, I mean you didnt take it apart to load the OS right? should be your choice as to which OS you want to run, they might not support it, but I dont think it would void your warranty even in case of a hardware failure either....I really have never seen ANY OS that would kill hardware...but it remains your choice as to what you wish to run....I mean this aint Russia and they aint no big brother watching..(NO offense to any Russians..just an expression ya know..) the above poster said, try to do it again and see what happens...Good Luck..

You might also try putting the drive into another machine and see what happens..just my 0.02

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#4) Old
Send a message via AIM to ewang718
Default 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM

if you can, i would try putting in a different drive into it as well, like what rrfranczak3 said. just pop open the keyboard and the drive is right under it. I mean you got a refurbed one so theyve already opened it, so it wont void your warranty or anything. they will give you a hard time about the os though, but i dont htink it violates anything.

Dell Mini 9 | 16 gig SSD | 1.3 MP Webcam | Mac OSX 10.6.1 | 2 gig RAM | BIOS A04
Dell Mini 10v | 160 gig HD | 1.3 MP Webcam | Mac OSX 10.6.1 | 2 gig RAM | BIOS A05
  (#5) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 05:51 AM

Same thing happened to me. I had SL installed a couple a weeks ago using the "drive replacement" method (with SL installed) and everything seemed fine. But the other day my mini 10v started with only a black screen. I then tried re-doing the drive replacement with a fresh install of SL, but - I don't know something happened -- at one point when I tried rebooting, I saw a GREEN GECKO which looked pretty ominious. I've since tried the drive replacement a few times and still get a black screen. I have also tried booting with a DOS USB flash drive, but get no response, just a black screen. While booting with the DOS USB flash drive, I've started up pressing f12, f2, 2, fn-B and fn-end, but get no response, just a black screen.

Any suggestions? Is all hope lost?
  (#6) Old
Default 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Can you turn on the Netbook with F11 pressed while you push the power button? May try it also with the power supply.

(#7) Old
Default f11 didn't help - 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM

no, f11 didn't help - still black screen.

I chatted with Dell customer service, and they said I could send it in for repair.

« samsung m40 80gb laptop hard disk drive | Few questions before I start my journey »