Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Bluetooth not working 10v ubuntu 9.10 - 11-22-2009, 02:52 PM

I've got a Dell 10v and have installed ubuntu netbook remix 9.10. Installed Broadcom drivers to get wireless working and everything else seems fine. However, I can't get the internal bluetooth to work. Anyone got any ideas?

(#2) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 09:55 PM

i'm having a similar problem. only i have windows 7. bluetooth was working fine and then it's just disappeared.

The option has now gone from wireless switch. have reinstalled switch and nothing, drivers are all there, i just cant seem to find a way to switch it back on

any help would also be appreciated.
  (#3) Old
Default 01-19-2010, 01:36 AM

Add me to the list as well. I've had the problem in Windows XP/7RC and Ubuntu 9.10 standard

It seems to be an intermittent problem. In either version of Windows, the bluetooth adapter disappears from the Device Manager and the Wireless Switch software only reports seeing the wifi adapter. A few boot/re-boot cycles later, the BT adapter will re-appear. Sometimes I can force it back on by entering BIOS setup, disabling BT, reboot, then go back into BIOS and turn it on again.

I've disassembled my unit and reseated the cable between the BT card and the motherboard. It worked for a few days, then started acting up again.

Gonna see if I can't get this fixed under warranty.
  (#4) Old
Default 01-19-2010, 02:18 AM

I see that most of the posters in this thread haven't been on the site in months, but no matter...

Under Ubuntu, run "sudo lsusb" or "sudo lsusb -v" (verbose, very verbose). "list usb" is a low-level scan of the USB bus. I believe the BT adapter is connected to USB internally, and it should show up in the output, even if drivers are missing/corrupt/whatever. If it doesn't show up, it's a hardware problem (or I'm wrong about it being connected via USB).

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#5) Old
Default 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM

You're correct - the internal BT adapter is a USB device. Forgot to mention I tried 'lsusb' as well. Just like Windows, sometimes it shows up in lsusb's output, sometimes it doesn't. A brief conversation w/ Dell support got me an appointment to replace the BT card. We'll see how things turn out afterward.
  (#6) Old
Default Same Here :( - 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM

My 10v has the same problem and same symptoms as mentioned.
Mine will never recognize the bluetooth module on the first start. If I restart it recognizes every time and works great.
First I had Vista Business loaded with this problem. So I reformated to XP. The module wasn't installed when I bought the Mini so I thought installing the OS with with the module in from the start would fix the problem and it didn't.
I bought this module first:
DELL J613H 2.1 Bluetooth module + cable for mini 10 10v - eBay (item 230382663157 end time Jan-26-10 22:20:49 PST)

Then after the reformat didn't work I figured it could be the module itself so I tried this one with a new cable:
DELL mini 10 10v 1010 1011 2.1 Bluetooth Module + Cable - eBay (item 170421838798 end time Feb-16-10 11:30:14 PST)

Like I said If I restart it works every time. I tried changing the function key setting in Bios thinking It might allow it to turn on the module with the Fn 2 key or the button utility but it doesn't see it either way in the initial boot.
I'm using the Dell XP driver. Hellowifi suggested trying the Buesoil Driver but I don't see how it would make a difference since it seems to be something within the Bios not letting it recognize on the first boot.

Puzzling me more is why work on the restart? It goes through the same process as a first start. It loads bois, loads Windows the same way right?

Very annoying
  (#7) Old
Super Moderator
Default 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM

One of the earlier posters mentioned Windows 7, and indeed when I originally installed the drivers I didn't realise at first that the Bluetooth Icon had gone straight into the 'Hidden Icons' area.

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#8) Old
Default 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Update: Called Dell for repair & a tech was sent out. Turns out the cable for the replacement BT card was incompatible w/ the motherboard. Dell claims the right part was sent (yeah, right). The tech just reseated the original cable & card and all was working when he left.

BT started acting up again a few days after the techs' visit, so I reinstalled the factory 1397 wifi card, blew away Win7 RC and installed WinXP. Installed all the drivers except the wifi switch software. BT behaved normally for a few weeks. For grins, I reinstall my Intel 5100 wifi card and drivers. After a reboot, BT stopped working.

I uninstall the 5100 drivers and remove the card from the socket and low and behold, BT starts working again. Out of curiosity, I plugged in the 5100 and DID NOT install drivers. BT adapter still wouldn't activate. Unplug the 5100 and BT is normal. Anyone have any idea what's so different about the 5100 that causes the BT to stop working? I'm using the fullsized version of the 5100 in my Vostro A90 without incident.

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with the 5100. It functions perfectly.
  (#9) Old
Default 02-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Someone else in the forum had an odd problem that disappeared when his 5100 (or 5300, I don't recall) was removed. Another "eBay special".

Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#10) Old
Default 04-01-2010, 01:33 PM

Actually, I got it from I even tried swapping the 1397 with the factory installed 5100 that came in my dad's Latitude 2100 and got the same results. The 5100 I got from works fine in the 2100. Note, however, the 2100 does not have the factory bluetooth installed.

« Broken screen, replacement options, upgrade available? | Anyone's backspace key feel weird? »