Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default help me, i'm confusing myself - 11-22-2009, 12:36 PM

i'm confusing myself with my options. ive been digging through this forum and watching youtube vids, but i still have a few questions/concerns

i think the dell mini 9 being limited to ssd may be too little space for me. the black friday 10v deal is tempting... i know the 10v is harder to upgrade, but am i right in thinking a ram and hard drive upgrade in the 10v doesnt involve any soldering, just the horrible process getting inside the thing?

also, the 10v is just about the same specs as my girlfriends toshiba mini nb205, does this mean i can expect nearly the same performance as hers running windows 7? would it perform "better" with osx? is there any way to quantify how much better on either os? is there much of a difference between a 5400 drive and a 7200 drive?

(#2) Old
Retired Mini user
Default 11-22-2009, 01:17 PM

You are correct about the upgrades. The RAM is the most difficult one, but if you take your time and are careful I think it's pretty easy. The hard drive is a snap.

You are right also about the performance compared to the Toshiba. Both use the same processor & chipset. There have been reports about 7200rpm drives not giving that much of a performace boost. I myself run a 5200rpm 500GB drive in my 10v, and it runs Windows 7 plenty fast for my taste.

Getting an iPad

« Working: Dell Mini 10v and Chrome OS | Used NBI 0.8.3 RC3 -> 10.6.2 safe? »