Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Should I upgrade the memory myself or take it to a shop? - 11-20-2009, 11:52 PM

My Mini 10v with 160gb HDD (I'm going to be installing Snow Leopard on it) is on it's way. However, I want to upgrade the RAM to 2gb. I've watched the videos on youtube of the upgrade and it looks very fiddly like something could easily go wrong.

Is it a good idea for me to try the upgrade myself or should I just take it into PC World and get them to do it for me (Costs £20 though - on top of the £30 for the memory). Though that's assuming they'll even do at as they might not want to risk it (?)

(#2) Old
Default 11-21-2009, 03:42 AM

If I knew someone were willing to do it for $20 (or GBP) I would let them. I'm fairly handy with a precision screwdriver and a beer, but I have watched the videos and after my friend telling me he has done 4 (without) issue and found it hard, I worry about myself. That said, it is something that requires you to basically tear the entire computer apart, it is not a user upgradeable item according to Dell and could void your warranty. If a shop will do it then I'd let them.

Having had my mini for about 3 days now running SL I must say that extra gig would do wonders.
  (#3) Old
Default 11-21-2009, 02:25 PM

do it yourself its really easy just a little more envolved than the mini 9 but as long as u take ur time its easy and you will not break anything
  (#4) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 01:43 PM

I doubt PCWorld will do it for £20 as it involves complete disassembly - if they will and you are not confident about taking apart your Mini 10v then it is probably the best move for you.

If you do take the plunge then it is mostly just removing screws apart from removing the palm rest (use a fingernail on one side, prise it open a bit and then keep wiggling it until the rest of it pops out).

- Simon.

Dell Latitude E6220 | E6230
  (#5) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 09:47 PM

i didn't have problems with it and it was my first time doing it. just watch the youtube instructional vid and pause it at your own pace. be extra careful removing the little pins that keep the ribbon cables in. they are easy to break
  (#6) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 10:36 PM

I also didn't have problems doing it but did find the palm rest the trickiest bit. One video suggested using a credit card to prise the palm rest up but I tried that and ended up slightly nicking the plastic. I resorted to (slightly bitten!) fingernails at that point and persevered and it came off.
One recommendation from another post was after you'e removed the 3 keyboard screws from the bottom, pushing a paper clip through the hole on the left (as you look from the bottom of the computer) helps to lift the keyboard up so you can unclip it. This worked for me and was really helpful.
Also be very careful with the wifi card screw - mine almost threaded and I've seen postings from other people with the same issue.
What I did was continue with the disassembly to the point where you remove the motherboard. I was then able to put lots of pressure on the wifi card screw as I could support it at the back and eventually it came out.

If you take your time though the whole process isn't that hard.

Mini 10v | 2Gb RAM | 160 Gb HDD | OSX 10.6.6 | Latest NBI | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : OFF | No BT
  (#7) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 10:41 PM

really, the question is to ask yourself what happened the last time you tried to do something new and complicated and mechanical that othjers have found straight forward. is your batting average poor because you're all left thumbs and you invariably muck it up? if so, hire someone. OTOH, it you have some mechanical skills and have a good batting average, then may the Force be with you

Mini 1010 | Windows 7 Home Premium clean install over factory installed XP | 1GB RAM | 160GB drive | 1024x600 screen | Bluetooth | 1.3MP webcam | 6-cell battery | TV tuner
  (#8) Old
Default 11-22-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by binji View Post extra careful removing the little pins that keep the ribbon cables in. they are easy to break
Just to be clear, you do not remove the pins, you slide them back.

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#9) Old
Send a message via AIM to ewang718
Default 11-23-2009, 02:34 PM

I would say do it yourself. The process may seem extremely difficult but in reality its not as difficult as people say. I've never had any experience taking apart a laptop that far, but I have built my own desktop rigs. I did it my first time without a problem. My biggest issue was taking out the mobo, but other than that it was fine. Just be sure to plug everything back in. (i forgot to plug in my power cable and the built in speakers, but everything was fine after i realized what i did wrong)

Dell Mini 9 | 16 gig SSD | 1.3 MP Webcam | Mac OSX 10.6.1 | 2 gig RAM | BIOS A04
Dell Mini 10v | 160 gig HD | 1.3 MP Webcam | Mac OSX 10.6.1 | 2 gig RAM | BIOS A05
  (#10) Old
Default 11-26-2009, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone! I think I'm going to take it to the shop and see if they'll do it - if they don't then I'll have to do it myself. Will this RAM be ok for the 10v?

Kingston KVR667D2S5/2G ValueRAM / 2GB / 667MHz / PC5300 DDR2 / 200pin SODIMM / Laptop Memory (UK) : Kingston KVR667D2S5/2G ValueRAM / 2GB / 667MHz / PC5300 DDR2 / 200pin SODIMM / Laptop Memory : Computing - Free Delivery

« Battery wiggle on 3 new Mini 10v WTH? | How long does it take to get a refurbished 10v from the Dell Outlet store? »