Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Cloning your Hd? - 11-18-2009, 10:14 AM

Firstly been reading this forum for a while now but never posted (partly because i only got my 10v yesterday).

Anyway im looking to put SL on it (ofc.) but i thought just in case it goes wrong i would clone my hdd so that i can revert back to Xp if i want.

But as i dont have a external cd-rom is this posible?, Has anyone else done it perhaps to a usb stick?. If so what program did you use?

Thanks in advance

(#2) Old
Default 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM

I generated a perfect image of my Mini's OEM install by booting off a Linux LiveUSB drive and saving the image to a USB hard drive.

With a recent Linux LiveCD/USB, "sudo dd if=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD3200BJKT-00F4T0-0123456789 | gzip > drive.img.gz" will produce a complete drive image of the hard drive with the model number "WDC_WD3200BJKT-00F4T0" and the serial number "0123456789". The drive image will be saved to a single, gzip-compressed file in the current directory. It'll be a couple GB and take a while to create.

Restore the image with the same procedure in reverse: "gunzip < drive.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/..."

You could also look into a smarter disk imaging program, like "partimage", which you'll probably have to install on the LiveCD/USB (easy with a wired network connection and "sudo apt-get partimage" for distros using apt package management). On disk with alot of free space, partimage should be much faster than the previous command. But it's also aimed at backing up partitions, not entire disks. So, I think you need to back up the partition table separately. The previous command gets the whole disk in one operation.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#3) Old
Default 11-18-2009, 02:58 PM

I used clonezilla live (Clonezilla). Click on the "Live CD/USB/PXE" link on the left and it gives you full instructions on how to create a live USB stick and also a guide on cloning a disk.
I boot from the USB stick, run clonezilla in 800 * 600 resolution, and use pretty much default options for the rest of the process. The guide is really good and describes how you can make an image of your entire 10v hard drive and store it on a USB external drive - this is what I did.
I have used it to make full disk backups as I've been installing OS X. e.g. I have a disk image of the original XP install, an image of my first successful SL install, an image of my 10.6.2 SL etc.
Now if I ever need to I can run clonezilla again and restore my disk from one of the images.

Mini 10v | 2Gb RAM | 160 Gb HDD | OSX 10.6.6 | Latest NBI | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : OFF | No BT

« Mini 10v running OS 10.6.1 finally | Can you get 1024*768 resolution on the 10v? »