Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Noisy rattle from new 10V keyboard - 11-11-2009, 12:44 AM

Just received my brand new Mini 10V!

I immediately noticed that no matter where I touched this netbook (lid, wrist rest, the sides) I could hear a noisy "rattle" sound from the keyboard, as if a lose ball bearing was dancing around under the keys.

I noticed that when I touched the SPACE bar and tapped anywhere else on the netbook, the rattle goes away. Something under the space bar was noisy.

I popped the space bar off. Tried increasing mass by taping some adhesive strips to the bottom. Nothing helped. I'm guessing the scissor mechanism or snap-in metal bars are rattling somehow.

Called Dell, and after repeating my problem about 3-4 times to various techs, they walked me through removing the keyboard and "re-seating it" (and that didn't work, of course.) Dell is sending me a replacement keyboard.

I hope that fixes it! Fingers and toes crossed!

Does anyone else have this problem? I really like the Mini 10v's small size! While I had the keyboard out I popped a 2GB stick of RAM. Now I REALLY want to keep this 10v!

Is a rattling space bar normal? Just accept it? Or unusual? (Yes I know it's inexpensive, but still....)
  (#2) Old
Default 11-11-2009, 09:32 PM

I've had several pass under my fingers and no rattly space bars yet. But I have faith in dell and their ability to surprise me with interesting issues when I least expect them .
  (#3) Old
Default 11-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Well, I spotted a "fix" on an eeePC forum from someone with the same issue. I took a small adhesive rubbery foot the size of a pea and the density of a gummy bear, the thickness of a dime, and put it under the space bar where it meets the middle squishy "cone". It worked.

It seems that on my keyboard, the space bar would rattle because it had room to wiggle. Wiggle gone = no noise.

Of course I managed to get some bendy damage on some of the space bar clips, so I'll be happy when the replacement keyboard arrives.
  (#4) Old
Default 11-13-2009, 06:18 AM

Received new keyboard today. Comparing both side by side, it appears the tinfoil-thick back side is... cleaner... than my original one. Makes me wonder if the one installed got manhandled at the factory.

Sure enough, the new keyboard is solid! No rattles! Best of all, no return label in the Dell box. I don't have to send this old one back. Hm, I guess I can make a "pretend" laptop for my 3-1/2 year old with this and a cardboard box!

All happy now. Time to enjoy my new 10V!

« Help:10V from xp to 10.6.2 | netbook hackintosh games? »