Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Mini 10v with 2GB RAM (pre-installed) & Unfriendly Dell Customer Service - 11-08-2009, 06:24 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I just got my Mini 10v the other day, and I ordered it with 2GB memory pre-installed by Dell.

Just by browsing to the Dell Small & Medium Business store, I searched for Inspiron notebooks on the left panel, and found the Mini 10v. I selected "Customize with Ubuntu" and noticed that 2GB of memory was indeed an option.

However, before I ordered the Mini 10v, I began to read stories on this forum about unsuccessful orders with this configuration. So, I called Dell Small & Medium Business customer service to get some clarification. The Dell rep was pretty unfriendly and even seemed to try to talk me out of buying the 10v. "What is it for?" he asked.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

"What is this system going to be used for?" he demanded.

"Uh, whatever I want. Just typical notebook computer stuff. Nothing too intensive."

"Well I don't consider this to be a computer. It's a DEVICE. It's not capable of doing what a real notebook can do. Just so you know that. I don't want sell something that's going to get returned a week later."

What a jerk, huh? After I installed Snow Leopard this DEVICE seems to purr very nicely.

Anyhow, I figured that with tax and shipping, my ordering the 2GB memory pre-installed would cost about the same if I had ordered and installed a RAM upgrade from Newegg. The deconstruction/installation/reconstruction tutorials that users like Anguish have prepared seem to be very helpful but I just decided to get my ideal 10v out-of-the-box.

So, to anyone exploring the forum who is interested in the 10v but is reluctant about installing the RAM upgrade or is in a hurry get the machine, or whatever reason, be aware that you can order the 10v with 2GB memory pre-installed from Dell.

This forum is great and I appreciate all the development and support from the Dell Mini community.

10v | A04 | 2GB | 160GB | 6-cell | OS X 10.6.2 | partridge | pear tree
  (#2) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 01:12 PM

No offense, but both Dell's horrible customer service and the 2 gig option available with Ubuntu are well known and documented. The horrible customer service continues after the sale, should you need to call them. A friend just bought a Alienware M17x laptop and the hard drive died one week after he received it. After multiple calls to Dell, with several promises to send a replacement hard drive, he has now sent the laptop back. So, for the price of a hard drive ($50 Dell cost), Dell lost a $1,800 sale.

Congrats on your new 10v.

Mini 9 | 2 gigs memory | 64 gig SSD | 10.6.7
Mini 10v | 2 gigs memory | 500 gig HD | BT | 10.6.3 & Windows 7 Professional Dual Boot
  (#3) Old
Default 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM

As Mike said, welcome and congrats!

I found it "easiest" to deal with dell customer (lack-of) service via email. It gives you a chance to take a deep breath, lets them run through their required "help" script, and after a week usually gets you what you want. Should you have to jump through all this in the first place? No. I've started thinking of it as the cost of getting minis.
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator
Default 11-08-2009, 06:27 PM

As has been mentioned on here before I don't really think that Dell really want to be selling $200 Mini's, and therefore encourage their sales staff to 'upsell'... although rather too energetically in this case though I think, as the Mini 10v is a great piece of kit!

I thought I was going to find mine much slower than it actually is... especially after upgrading the memory, and installing Windows 7!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN

« Dual-boot disk images | 6cell hardW »