Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#1) Old

Default Disable Battery Charging - 10-09-2009, 06:00 AM

Can I disable battery charging, so it will stay disabled when I restart Windows? I can use the Dell Battery Meter application to disable charging, but it's re-enabled when I restart.

One possibility would be to create a script or program that disables it, and put it in Start > All Programs > Startup. Is this practical?

Is it possible to launch the Dell Battery Meter application using an external keyboard or mouse? FN+F3 works from the built-in keyboard, but I don't know how to do it from a keyboard connected via USB. I looked around for a .exe, but didn't find it in the obvious places.

I'm using Windows XP Pro on a Mini 10v. It spends days at a time under my desk, connected to AC power, a big monitor and keyboard. On those days, I'd like to leave the battery partially discharged. I hear it prolongs the life of the battery.
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to rrfranczak3 Send a message via MSN to rrfranczak3 Send a message via Yahoo to rrfranczak3
Cool 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM

I believe they have a lithium Ion battery which is not supposed to be effected that way..I could be wrong..but just my 0.02..

Dell Mini 10 (Obsidian Black 1010), 2gb RAM, 1.66ghz 533mhz FSB (Z530) processor, A10 BIOS, 1 Terabyte (1000 GB) WD Scorpio Blue Hard Drive (5400rpm), Intel GMA 500 Integrated Graphics, TV Tuner, Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR, 1.3mp Camera, 1366x768 HD Screen, Wireless 1510 b/g/n mini card, 6 cell (56WHr) Battery, 4gb SDHC, 64gb Flashdrive, Targus Netbook Chillpad, Targus Sport Case, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (500gb)/Windows 8.1 (500gb) (Dual Boot)

iPad 4 (64gb) w/Retina,Targus Versavu Case
  (#3) Old

Default 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM

I registered here because I have the exact same doubts as jkristian.
Is there a way to create a script to automatically disable battery recharge or any other similar method?
That would be really helpful...
  (#4) Old

Default 08-09-2010, 07:52 AM

When you check "Disable Battery charging" in Battery Meter, it will be enabled until Battery Meter.exe start again. Therefore, you should disable BTMeter.exe in your startup after checking "Disable battery charging", create a shortcut to BTMeter.exe in your desktop. When you want to enable battery charging, double-click to it.
Remember to discharge your battery to between 40% and 80% before using this option. Keep your battery always at 100% is not a good idea

Tags
battery meter, fn+f3

« Win7 + SSD = constant freezing | dell 10v wireless drivers »