Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default ssd recommended upgrade? - 10-06-2009, 08:38 PM

hey guys, i'm fairly new and i really enjoy the forums so far. i've been lurking a bit but i guess why not just jump right into the community?

i tried using the search feature for "ssd" and "ssd upgrade" getting pretty bad results either way

MyDellMini - Search Forums
MyDellMini - Search Results

i was wondering how many of you guys prefer the 160gb hdd vs the 16gb sdd? what were some deciding factors for you to switch to the hdd or the ssd?

i've started a pretty basic pro/con lists but was wondering if there were some real life shortcomings to either option that i couldn't think of.

Pros: 160 GB

Pros: 16 GB ssd
-marginally faster boot time, marginally faster app load times
-no moving parts
-extra battery life
-possibly cooler internal temp

for the 16 gb, if i dual boot windows 7 plus hackintosh how much space does that leave me? can u make a 3rd partition to stash all your media (photos, music, videos) that can be accessed by both windows and osx? i feel like the format of the drive will cause this to not be a viable option but was just double checking.
  (#2) Old
Default 10-07-2009, 03:11 AM

(#3) Old
Default 10-08-2009, 06:07 PM

I wouldn't install 2 OS on one 16GB drive and expect much space left over. I'd get an after market SSD if that's what you were leaning towards.

« try to stay away from UPS | Cracked LCD screen on Mini 10v, Get screen diffrent part number? »