Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#11) Old
Post 10-05-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by C0L7 View Post
Well if you are going to use Ubuntu, you might as well stick to Windows Xp Home. I am a pretty brushed up in the linux category ( I have used it for a few years) and I absolutely cannot stand Ubuntu. The whole kernel on which it's compiled is very buggy and not so stable. If you want a real challenge, put Gentoo linux on there. It is a great distro and it has a stable kernel bc it doesnt compile a kernel that will work with almost any piece of hardware. You build your own kernel, compile it and set it up completely according to your specific hardware. Therefore no bloat.

Ubuntu is almost like a linux/windows hybrid in the sense that it does require a decent amount of system resources to run at idle and if you are gonna do that at least use xp or windows 7. Personally I have a machine running 7 and I love it, my 10v runs OS X and I love it more. As soon as you install OS X and use the features to there fullest you will understand and appreciate it alot more.

So in all honesty, an Ubuntu install, regardless if its the netbook remix or not, will not be as hard as you might think. If you are looking for a project, go Gentoo, if you are looking for sexxy go OS X.
Well, that's the thing, I'm not looking for a project. I'm sure I could learn digest huge amounts of info about linux and spend hours and hours perfecting it, but that's not what I necessarily want. I want to spend say, less than 4 hours initial setup time, with an hour here or there over the next few months to tweak. And for that, I want to have the fastest (and cheapest, clearly) system possible that will let me - surf the web, video chat with my 3yo nephew (his dad is a total linux geek who has his mini hooked up to his home theater), edit some documents of all sorts, and let me get the current weather on my desktop without all sorts of extra junk.

I know OS X can do all that stuff, XP can't seem to do the weather thing, and I'm just not clear whether linux will be faster for the amount of time I'm willing to put in.

We didn't really discuss OS X, so I'm glad you brought it up. IS it fast, or is it just pretty? Actually, I've used it quite a bit on my girlfriend's macbook, but that thing probably has twice my hardware...

If computers were cars... I'd change the oil, replace my brake bads, fix a sensor, a fan, a ball joint, a headlight, or plug a flat, but I probably wouldn't spend my weekend under the hood just to get a couple more horsepower...

Oh, and I own a Saab, btw. (it has the temperature on the dash!).

To extend this metaphor. What I like about my Saab is what I'd like to like about Linux. The dashboard tells me when my washer fluid is 1/4 full, when I need to have it serviced, what my mileage is, my oil pressure, turbo speed, rpms, Distance to Empty, and it let's me change any setting I want.

I want an OS that is like a Saab.
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator
Send a message via AIM to bmcclure937
Default 10-05-2009, 12:45 PM

Sounds like you want OSX

(or a highly customized linux with bells and whistles)

Honestly, installing Snow Leopard on a Mini is very straight-forward and easy. On top of that, OSX is also efficient and fast. I have had no issues at all with OSX and speed

 Mini 10v  | 2Gb RAM | 320 Gb HDD | Ubuntu 10.04 | OSX 10.6.3 | NBI .8.4RC1 | Chameleon Bullet Theme | BIOS A05 | USB Wake : OFF | USB Legacy : ON | No BlueTooth
Meklort's Blog | NBI Google Code Page | -- the best OSX installation guides
  (#13) Old
Default 10-05-2009, 04:25 PM

I'm another vote for Linux, namely Ubuntu. I started this thread

when I first got my 10v and since then it's still doing exactly what I want it to with, apart from those listed, no problems. I'm not a programmer, I mainly use it for web (and web mail) access and Office stuff, and it's great.

I had only a little experience with Linux before this install, I decided to go with Ubuntu because it pretty much works out of the box, I was utterly fed up with various incarnations of Microsoft's horrible creations and although I like how OS X runs on my wife's MacBook, this little 10v has a lot less hardware and I'd rather have something that runs well on it than something that needs constant hacking every time an upgrade comes out. I don't have much time to faff around hacking, fun though it is. YMMV...
  (#14) Old
Default 10-06-2009, 06:03 PM

OS X. End of story. It runs very fast even with 1 gb ram. It took me 30 min. to install on the hd, using the hd swap method. From there theres only a few more tweaks but not 4 hours worth. Use netbook installer .8.3 RC2 and tell me how it goes!

Dell Mini 10v | OS X 10.6.1 | 160 GB HDD | 2 GB RAM | Dell 1510 Wireless N | Netbook Installer .8.3 RC2 |
  (#15) Old
Super Moderator
Default 10-06-2009, 06:34 PM

I vote for any of the three: Ubuntu (NBR in particular), OS X or Win 7. All are very fast and usable. If you go with Ubuntu Netbook Remix, it takes a little adjustments, but I find it's well worth it. My only gripe is the battle I have with my internal wifi.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides

10v, hackintosh, operating system, vista, winxp

« Bad keyboard | Compatible RAM for Minii 10v »