Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.

(#1) Old
Default Some questions about SSD by a dummy - 09-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Hello Gentle-Mini-Users

Here the thing:
Firts, I'm french. So please, apologize my mistakes.
Second, I possess a Mini 10.
Third, I would like to change the hard-drive. I would like to equip my netbook with a 16 or 32 GB SSD.
Fourth, I have some questions.

Here the questions:
A) I need a standard 2.5" SATA drive. Is that ok ?
B) Is there a difference between « SATA » and « SATA II » ?
C) Can I buy a SSD of any mark? Or maybe, is there some manufacturers who do not like Dell's computers?
D) Who's the best manufacturer? (I know, it's a hard question ; everyone have his favorite)
E) I remove the battery, I remove some screws on the back, I remove the keyboard and then...? I remove the hard-drive, ok ? Is there some screws? I connect and put the SSD? Is there more screws to « lock » the SSD?

I will be very pleased if you could answer my questions.
I'm a newbie and I like my netbook : I do not want to ruin it. I guess you can understand.

Thank you.
  (#2) Old
Default 09-25-2009, 04:00 PM

The mini10v uses a standard 2.5" laptop drive. SATA II is faster than SATA, but a SATAII drive can work with a SATA connection, it'll just run slower. I'm pretty sure Intel makes the best SSDs at the moment, but they are also crazy expensive. OCZ also makes really good drives and Runcore is popular with the Mini9 crew.

To disassemble you'll remove the battery, remove the keyboard screws, pop the keyboard off and you'll have access to the drive. It is held in with a single screw. Remove the screw and pull on the plastic tab to slide the drive out of the connector.

You can follow this youtube which was made for the RAM upgrade:

Dell mini 10v OSx 10.6.2 | Windows 7
  (#3) Old
Default 09-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Thank you!
You save my mini's life.

« Last BIOS version for 10v | No video output after sleep »