Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Sep 2009
09-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Ah, let me see if I can find where I got it. It turned out to be way easier than I thought it would be. I will post everything I ended up doing here in a few min.
I did the following accepting any and all risks involved...
1. Backup what I needed off the drive (was nothing since it was new)
2. Followed the Lifehacker tutorial to put windows on the flash drive.
3. Make sure to boot to the part that says "First" (second on the list) the first time you boot.
4. On install I deleted ALL partitions
5. I created 2 partitions - 12gig for the OS and 100gig for storage (120gigHDD)
6. Completed the install
7. Installed all drivers and programs and windows updates from a second USB stick
8. Created a USB bootable version of PING on my other computer using a third (64mb) USB stick
9. Booted off the PING USB and created an image of the 12gig partition after all my updates/drivers/apps and saved it to the storage partition.
10. I continued on with life knowing if somehow my XP install gets hosed it will only take me ~10min to use ping and get it back to when I Imaged it.
I know this is more than you asked for but this explains why I didnt want the 6gig partition. I baisicly created my own only the image is stored as a file.
Tutorial for putting XP on flash drive is HERE
Join Date: Sep 2009
09-20-2009, 07:27 AM
I've successfully installed XP!! Thanks for the tutorial. I managed to install WinXP by following your howto. What I really like is the way you manage the XP partition (12gig for the OS, the rest for storage, including Program Files) and PING. So here's my win experience after installing it:
-feels much more faster than the default DELL installation (~150% faster).
-accessing hard drive more faster than the default DELL setup (~1.2x)
-freedom to install XP the way we want.
Next: To play around with PING and to install ubuntu linux.
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.