Dell Mini 10v Forum for all discussions and support on the Dell Mini 1011, also known as the Mini 10v. If your question is regarding Mac OS X, please use the Mini 10v Mac OS X forum.
| ||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
09-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Ok I'll try to expand on this later...but here it goes:
NOTE: Before starting you need access to a Windows Vista machine
1. Create a working OSX install on the entire hard drive (no partitions yet)
2. With the boot USB disk, boot into the OSX installer and use Disk Utility to save the image to an external USB drive.
3. After the image has been copied off, choose partition and select your 2 partitions and choose Master Boot Record in the options. Make one partition FAT32 for Windows (I named mine WIN) and the other one as Mac Journaled (I named this one OSX). (To be honest, I used Boot Magic from a boot disk I had but I see no reason why this shouldn't work.) I've also heard of other people that had problems with the partitions from Disk Utility. If you run into issues, try another partitioner. I have no suggestions besides Boot Magic. NOTE: The Windows Partition Must be the first partition, OSX can be second
4. Take out the USB boot disk and install Windows XP via the Dell Restore CD (Like I did) or a USB drive or whatever you have to boot windows into onto the WIN Partition. If it works with leaving the format how it is, then cool, if not, do a quick format as FAT32.
5. Install windows normally and let it reboot when done to finish the install. You don't need to install drivers or anything yet.
6. Once booted into windows successfully, restart and re-insert your OSX boot USB drive.
7. Do a restore on the OSX partition that you saved off before (do not reformat anything).
8. Once done, reboot and it should boot into windows.
9. Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 (I couldn't get it to work with version 2.0) (Do not attempt to run it yet)
10. Download 2.0 .NET Framework (google is your friend)
11. Place C:\Windows\Boot folder from your Vista machine onto your XP installation in the same place.
12. Start up EasyBCD.
NOTE: Before continuing, here's some more info: How to: Install the Vista Bootloader on Windows XP — The NeoSmart Files
13. I forget what the actual setup options are, but its farely straightforward. First off is delete the current boot record (cause thats for vista). Then you create the XP boot record and then you create a Mac boot record (choose x86).
14. Save your settings and reboot. You should now be able to choose to boot into XP or OSX
Feel free to ask some questions and I'll try to help out as much as possible.
Mini 10v - Atom 1.6 - 1 GB RAM - 16GB SSD - 1.3 Camera - Obsidian Black - OSX 10.6.1
Mini 9 - Atom 1.6 - 1 GB RAM - 16GB SSD - 1.3 Camera - Obsidian Black - OSX 10.5.8
Vostro A90 - Atom 1.6 - 1 GB RAM - 16GB SSD - .30 Camera - BT - Obsidian Black - OSX 10.5.8
Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.